Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: UTSA students vote down athletics and transportation fee proposals

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,112 Times in 1,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JasonUTSA1999 View Post
    I know I’m not the first to think of this, but if an nfl team would build a stadium in San Marcos it would be half way between Austin and San Antonio. If you combine those TV media areas and metro areas we’d be pushing 4.5 million people. (San Antonio #24 @ 2.4M + Austin # 31 @ 2M). The new area would be in the #11, 12, oe 13 range. Easily able to support an NFL team.
    Screw San Marcos... New Braunfels. LOL

P.S. sorry for the Casey-esque double post.
    If you copy posts from these forums and publish them publicly, out of context on the Internet to trash someone, don't be a pussy & hide behind an anonymous identity.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to textodd For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,258 Posts

I know I’m not the first to think of this, but if an nfl team would build a stadium in San Marcos it would be half way between Austin and San Antonio. If you combine those TV media areas and metro areas we’d be pushing 4.5 million people. (San Antonio #24 @ 2.4M + Austin # 31 @ 2M). The new area would be in the #11, 12, oe 13 range. Easily able to support an NFL team.
    I would be down with this setup. I can get to that area a lot faster than downtown San Antonio.
    Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by textodd View Post
    Screw San Marcos... New Braunfels. LOL

P.S. sorry for the Casey-esque double post.
    You missed by about 5 posts in a row, including 3 pics of your cars or your 3 homes and oh by the way... You words were actually intelligible....

You are no PJ my friend.... Don't flatter yourself ;P

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cory93 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,129 Posts

This has been brought up many times in the past two decades. This would work if the NFL would fully fund a stadium but in the past they only given out loans for a percentage of the cost. Atlanta, Minnesota used government funds, Santa Clara took out a loan from three banks to cover construction costs.

So between the three locations, which one funds the stadium? Alamodome is out of date and NFL would prefer to have it's own stadium than be second to a college team,

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by textodd View Post
    Like I said, no longer guaranteed. That's all I said. And single A ball would draw about the same as the Missions... because right or wrong, deserved or not, SA doesn't give a shit about minor leagues any more. That's just the reality.
    You're original statement "we have no Triple-A team coming in either" when in fact they are with no guarantees for a new stadium. You stated, it's no longer guaranteed because the "community/city's lack of commitment to build a Triple-A ballpark" and from what was in print in early January, it appears something quietly is in the works behinds the scenes, something Hardberger couldn't do, refusing to keep his mouth shut in courting the Saints.

In terms of the city's reaction to a new AAA team, or any minor league team, I won't debate that. It's eh. But judging from the Bragg piece, whether citizens "give a shit about minor leagues", attendance is now a secondary concern - "baseball is a means to an end", he wrote. This is an anchor for revitalization.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,112 Times in 1,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FD2004 View Post
    You're original statement "we have no Triple-A team coming in either" when in fact they are with no guarantees for a new stadium. You stated, it's no longer guaranteed because the "community/city's lack of commitment to build a Triple-A ballpark" and from what was in print in early January, it appears something quietly is in the works behinds the scenes, something Hardberger couldn't do, refusing to keep his mouth shut in courting the Saints.

In terms of the city's reaction to a new AAA team, or any minor league team, I won't debate that. It's eh. But judging from the Bragg piece, whether citizens "give a shit about minor leagues", attendance is now a secondary concern - "baseball is a means to an end", he wrote. This is an anchor for revitalization.

Good catch. Sorry. I did leave out the word "guaranteed" in my original post. My bad.
    If you copy posts from these forums and publish them publicly, out of context on the Internet to trash someone, don't be a pussy & hide behind an anonymous identity.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FD2004 View Post
    This has been brought up many times in the past two decades. This would work if the NFL would fully fund a stadium but in the past they only given out loans for a percentage of the cost. Atlanta, Minnesota used government funds, Santa Clara took out a loan from three banks to cover construction costs.

So between the three locations, which one funds the stadium? Alamodome is out of date and NFL would prefer to have it's own stadium than be second to a college team,
    What ever county the stadium is in, unless they build it literally on the Bexar County / Comal county or on the county line of comal and hays.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,359 Posts

Fresh off the press...

"The University of North Texas athletic department will soon have a whole lot more to work with financially after the school's students voted in favor of an increase in their fees to support the school's sports programs last week.

UNT's students voted 1,307 to 1,059 in favor of the proposal that will increase the school's student athletic fee from $10 per semester credit hour to $16.25 while also decreasing a student services fee $2 per credit hour.

The result is an increase of $4.25 per semester credit hour. A student taking 15 hours of classes will see their fees rise $63.75 per semester and $127.50 per year."

http://csnbbs.com/thread-843266.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Volkmar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    Fresh off the press...

"The University of North Texas athletic department will soon have a whole lot more to work with financially after the school's students voted in favor of an increase in their fees to support the school's sports programs last week.

UNT's students voted 1,307 to 1,059 in favor of the proposal that will increase the school's student athletic fee from $10 per semester credit hour to $16.25 while also decreasing a student services fee $2 per credit hour.

The result is an increase of $4.25 per semester credit hour. A student taking 15 hours of classes will see their fees rise $63.75 per semester and $127.50 per year."

http://csnbbs.com/thread-843266.html
    Their AD, Baker, gave an interview to the university paper explaining the fee increase but this is the second time they had to have a vote for a fee increase. The first one was considered void for some violations. Link

The more I think about it, it appears UTSA's referendum fell on Eighmy's and Campos lap. Eighmy may have let it go just to see what the attitude of the students were and use it as a starting point.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FD2004 For This Useful Post:

Junior Varsity
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

"The timeline is to have everything in place is before 2020 when affiliation contracts are up and this will be campaigned as revitalization project. If it fails, San Antonio may be home to single A ball."

Single A league wouldnt cut it in SA. Long season A is in Cali, Florida or Carolina league. San Antonio wouldn't get short A either. In reality, they would be independent league, which isn't terrible...Stadium has to be built either downtown, near I10/1604 by UTSA (split stadium with UTSA ) or NE San Antonio near Toyota Stadium... Look what Nashville did with their MiLB stadium...Went from bottom of attendance all the way to being 1st in attendance...Love living in San Antonio, but these people here who think its Major League or bust are fucking stupid!!