Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: UTSA students vote down athletics and transportation fee proposals

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 821 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    Fresh off the press...

"The University of North Texas athletic department will soon have a whole lot more to work with financially after the school's students voted in favor of an increase in their fees to support the school's sports programs last week.

UNT's students voted 1,307 to 1,059 in favor of the proposal that will increase the school's student athletic fee from $10 per semester credit hour to $16.25 while also decreasing a student services fee $2 per credit hour.

The result is an increase of $4.25 per semester credit hour. A student taking 15 hours of classes will see their fees rise $63.75 per semester and $127.50 per year."

http://csnbbs.com/thread-843266.html
    UTSA would have been $1 PSCH

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 964 Posts

Our leadership is doing a very poor job. They did an awful job selling the increase in fees. Almost like they were hoping for it to be not approved. The vote totals weren't close at all. Very embarrassing and will set our school back who knows how long. That's Prez Eighmy & Campos first big time black eye. They should be getting all the blame for this. While our competition continues to surpass us. I'm very very disappointed that this was not passed. I had to jump on here and say this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,359 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by P Casey View Post
    Our leadership is doing a very poor job. They did an awful job selling the increase in fees. Almost like they were hoping for it to be not approved. The vote totals weren't close at all. Very embarrassing and will set our school back who knows how long. That's Prez Eighmy & Campos first big time black eye. They should be getting all the blame for this. While our competition continues to surpass us. I'm very very disappointed that this was not passed. I had to jump on here and say this.
    I don't think it's fair to pin it entirely on them. They were just hired, and as someone else said, basically had that thing thrown in their laps. I think the timing was just not good for us with us looking for/hiring new leadership at about the same time as this thing was probably being planned and campaigned for. And with the vote as lopsided as it was, it may not have even made a difference if Eighmy and Campos had already been in office for a while.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volkmar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 964 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    I don't think it's fair to pin it entirely on them. They were just hired, and as someone else said, basically had that thing thrown in their laps. I think the timing was just not good for us with us looking for/hiring new leadership at about the same time as this thing was probably being planned and campaigned for. And with the vote as lopsided as it was, it may not have even made a difference if Eighmy and Campos had already been in office for a while.

Fair enough. Did they have the opportunity to delay the vote? I'm surprised they didn't do some sort of due diligence to see where the vote was prior to the actual vote. Because it was a landslide. I don't blame it all on them but unfortunately it's on their watch.

it was Packaged poorly and not presented well. There were so many errors it was very surprising. It was not done properly at all. Then are friends to the north pass theirs no problem.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FD2004 View Post
    Their AD, Baker, gave an interview to the university paper explaining the fee increase but this is the second time they had to have a vote for a fee increase. The first one was considered void for some violations. Link

The more I think about it, it appears UTSA's referendum fell on Eighmy's and Campos lap. Eighmy may have let it go just to see what the attitude of the students were and use it as a starting point.
    So this referendum was seeded back during Romo/Hickey Era? Did Eighmy have the ability to kill it if he didn't agree with it, or is there a "rule" that once it's been established, it has to be seen through?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    So this referendum was seeded back during Romo/Hickey Era? Did Eighmy have the ability to kill it if he didn't agree with it, or is there a "rule" that once it's been established, it has to be seen through?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I don't know if there is a rule but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a process of putting off the referendum, may involve the SGA and so on. As I mentioned, they may want to use this as a starting point - market research.

Excerpt From Underdog Dynasty (and from another thread):

While the proposal’s failure is undeniably a gigantic speed bump for UTSA athletics, it may be the last remnant of a string of timid decisions and inaction that have plagued the athletics department over the past few years. This proposal was an initiative spearheaded by former school president Ricardo Romo and former athletic director Lynn Hickey. UTSA’s new leadership should have a great opportunity to learn from the mistakes of this failure and move forward in the hopes of building a healthy union between the athletics department and the student body.

Link to full piece: https://www.underdogdynasty.com/univ...crease-tuition

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FD2004 For This Useful Post: