Thread: 2018 National Signing Day event

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,358 Posts

Textodd, you and I usually agree on most stuff, but on Coach Wilson, I'll have to disagree this time, although I understand where you're coming from. I don't think Wilson should be on the hot seat if we struggle this season unless maybe we just totally blow the season and end up 3-9 or 2-10 or something, and here's why...

1) He had a lot of changes in his coaching staff to deal with this season. You've gotta give him at least some sort of buffer after replacing his OC, DC, DL Coach, and whoever else there may have been (I've already forgotten lol).
    2) Granted we finished last season in very weak fashion (3 losses in the last 4 weeks), but we were 3-9 when he took over, then went to 6-7 and a bowl, and then 6-5 (no bowl). So it could be argued, based purely on our record, that we still improved both years. And in most other years, 6-5 would've gotten us in a bowl game, which would've been our 2nd straight, as last year was a bit of an aberration.
    3) Some of us might forget how close our losses were last year. Four of them were by 2, 3, 7, and 5 points. Granted, it was because we couldn't finish games, but a play or two here and there, and we're easily 8-3 or better.

That said, I think that if we have another .500ish season this season (2018), like we've had the last 2 years, it's reasonable to take all the coaching changes into consideration, as well as a new QB. But if we had another .500ish season in 2019 (for the 4th consecutive year), even after he was given time to deal with the coaching changes and everything, it would then be fair to maybe start seeing what other options we might have because that would definitely make it appear as though we've plateaued, and just not getting the most of the recruiting classes we've had.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Volkmar For This Useful Post: