Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2018 National Signing Day event

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,131 Posts

Problem with this upcoming season is you only have three returning assistant coaches - only two are returning to the position they coached in 2017. The interior offensive line and your workhorse RB were lost to graduation. Having to replace your WR corp and currently there is no frontrunner for the starting QB position. Now add the fact a new offensive system will be installed with various young players. Plus, having to replace your All-Conference DL and replace the defensive backfield to go along with new defensive coordinator.

No one should be looking at this upcoming season as retool. This is a rebuild in ways, I don't think any of us imagined, with so many unknown variables.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FD2004 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
    Since Casey isn't around, I'll take over his stance for a single post in regards to Frank Harris. If Harris has the moxie to understand and perform at the D1 level, and if he wins the starting job, I think his running ability will compensate enough for other team deficiencies and inexperience to give the Roadrunners a solid chance to have a winning season in 2018.

Is Frank Wilson's head on the chopping block if they don't make it to a bowl game? This is the first year that his recruits will see action. A lot of talented, but inexperienced, 3-stars will be going against three P5 schools to open the season. This, and a new offensive scheme, yet to be learned, is not predictive of success. I don't think he should or will be labeled as a failure if we don't have a winning season in 2018. But I'm hoping for an 8-4 or better season!
    You have at least three QBs with similar skill sets (Rivers is a question mark to me). The problem last season wasn't experience, it was depth and the lack of it and as the season went further along it just got worse. I'm agree with you, Wilson's head should not be on the chopping block or should be labeled as failure if a winning record is not produced.

Alot of it will be dependent on how UTSA finishes the 2018 season.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FD2004 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,359 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted. Willie Allen has signed with LA Tech. Bummer!
    Yeah, them owning us on the football field probably played a part in that. We're 1-5 against them so far (1-3 under Coker and 0-2 under Wilson). We seemed to be more competitive under Coker though, as two of our three losses were by 7 and 3 points. We were bludgeoned 63-35 in Wilson's first year, and after the controversy about them scoring late, and Wilson saying we'll remember, we lost again 20-6 this year in what was pretty much the most boring game of the year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 833 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    Yeah, them owning us on the football field probably played a part in that. We're 1-5 against them so far (1-3 under Coker and 0-2 under Wilson). We seemed to be more competitive under Coker though, as two of our three losses were by 7 and 3 points. We were bludgeoned 63-35 in Wilson's first year, and after the controversy about them scoring late, and Wilson saying we'll remember, we lost again 20-6 last year in what was pretty much the most boring game of the year.
    Hopefully we curb stomp them in season finale in bball. I know... Not the same but I really dislike LATech... Moreso than the Whimpering Ryan's (although pasting their asses next year would begin a long overdue healing process)... So beating them in the other most significant sport would so my heart well until next Fall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory93 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,359 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    Hopefully we curb stomp them in season finale in bball. I know... Not the same but I really dislike LATech... Moreso than the Whimpering Ryan's (although pasting their asses next year would begin a long overdue healing process)... So beating them in the other most significant sport would so my heart well until next Fall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    We already beat 'em once this year in Ruston. Last year we were 1-1 against them, and we're 1-0 so far this season, with a home game against them still to come.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,114 Times in 1,782 Posts

I don't think Wilson's head will be on the chopping block this season but when you're given the highest salary in the conference, you better have one of the best teams on the field. If we don't see something this upcoming season, his head should be on the block next season.

I don't care about all the excuses either, especially after a 6-5 year where you blew your bowl chances. Excuses stand up if you barely miss your goals, not if you shit the bed. Our team, especially on offense, shit the bed. I was willing to look the other way if we crushed the conference in recruiting again this off-season. That didn't happen and the more I think about it, the more pissed I get. We won't know how good this class is for a couple of years but a middle of the pack recruiting class by a guy who's regarded as a recruiting genius and is also the highest paid coach in the CUSA is not a good look. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
    If you copy posts from these forums and publish them publicly, out of context on the Internet to trash someone, don't be a pussy & hide behind an anonymous identity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to textodd For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

There were issues with Sceflo's offense at the first half of the 2016 season and the second half of the 2017 season and there was one constant - offensive line play. It can be called an excuse, a symptom, whatever the heart desires but it's a fact in every level of football, if the offensive line is not functional, no set or scheme will be effective so fixing that is first priority.

It wouldn't be wise to set baselines for 2018 season. Without knowing who the starting QB is, along with the actual strengths of this team, what is there to base a record on? With a new offense and a new scheme and three tough opponents (all P5) to start the season, similar scenario to the first four games of the 2016 season, UTSA should be expected to struggle, particularly on offense .

In terms of recruiting rankings, it's all subjective. 24-7 Sports has UTSA ranked 7th in CUSA but the difference between 7th and 4th is three points. Rivals has UTSA ranked 2nd in CUSA and their point differential is greater. It may be good to brag out when your team is ranked high but it's not exactly something one can hang their hat on for an extended time.

(For some odd reason, 24-7 Sports has Spencer Burford-Watts is listed as a 3 star when recently he was awarded a 4th star by the same site.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FD2004 View Post
    (For some odd reason, 24-7 Sports has Spencer Burford-Watts is listed as a 3 star when recently he was awarded a 4th star by the same site.)
    The 3-star is his composite rating, where 247 combines rankings from all the major services. He was only upgraded to 4-star in their own rankings (which only makes up a part of the composite).
    UTSA Class of '11 --- @DarrellEW --- @RowdyReport --- RowdyReport.com --- r/UTSARoadrunners

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DarrellEW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,114 Times in 1,782 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FD2004 View Post
    There were issues with Sceflo's offense at the first half of the 2016 season and the second half of the 2017 season and there was one constant - offensive line play. It can be called an excuse, a symptom, whatever the heart desires but it's a fact in every level of football, if the offensive line is not functional, no set or scheme will be effective so fixing that is first priority.

It wouldn't be wise to set baselines for 2018 season. Without knowing who the starting QB is, along with the actual strengths of this team, what is there to base a record on? With a new offense and a new scheme and three tough opponents (all P5) to start the season, similar scenario to the first four games of the 2016 season, UTSA should be expected to struggle, particularly on offense .

In terms of recruiting rankings, it's all subjective. 24-7 Sports has UTSA ranked 7th in CUSA but the difference between 7th and 4th is three points. Rivals has UTSA ranked 2nd in CUSA and their point differential is greater. It may be good to brag out when your team is ranked high but it's not exactly something one can hang their hat on for an extended time.

All I'm saying is that it's down to the time where FW should be expecting to either put a winner on the field or expect his seat to get real hot. A .500 team is a .500 team and that is one of the reasons that Athletics fee referendum was DOA. People can see all the money being spent on coaches and pointed that out very vocally. We live in a microwave society where results are expected immediately for right or wrong.
    If you copy posts from these forums and publish them publicly, out of context on the Internet to trash someone, don't be a pussy & hide behind an anonymous identity.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,819 Times in 2,651 Posts

All that will matter is how QB1 plays. Sturm made plays with his legs but the QBs job is to pass.
    An effective passing game is the key next year. Is it there or not. Iím not talking about a UNT type passing game. But one that can threaten you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We should be united in our uncertainty, not divided over fabricated certainty.