Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 112

Thread: 2018 National Signing Day event

              
   
   
   
  1. #51
    The A Team Mac290's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,280
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    2,615
    Thanked 5,810 Times in 2,645 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    This is going to sound crazy on the surface but at this particular point in time, I'm not worried about the backup situation and whether our season next year plays out in a way that we have to get to the point of heavily utilizing our backup. I say that because really at this point, we have NO idea what we really have in any of these kids either at this level (in the case of the two freshman and Harris) or in this system (with respect to our two JUCO transfers)... The only QB we sort of have an idea about is Rivers and obviously, we don't come away with a great feeling about him based on the snaps he took last year.

    I guess my point in all of this, playing armchair coach which I'm uniquely unqualified to do, is... Why do you need THAT much depth at QB? is that standard across most Universities? Coach did mention that they have a target number at every position and so I guess for his way of coaching an recruiting that number is 6...or maybe because JoJo was showing signs of being flipped from baseball and I think TX State, maybe the allure was too great with his potential to not pursue him and so we decided to overshoot our depth at QB just for him.

    And the only reason I even think about this stuff at all is because... If we are this deep.. Is one of these kids going to realize he's got no shot of playing anytime soon and bolts... And before you say, oh well... So sad, too bad... My only concern there is... In hindsight in that scenario, would we have been better served focusing our time and recruiting effort on grabbing another lineman or tight end and saving a scholly for that kid instead of trying to load up on QB's and saturating to the point where one of them is sure to go?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I think that with the way the game is changing with more RPO & read option, and the fact that defenses are getting faster and more complex, having a QB that can tuck and run puts a ton of pressure on a defense. He's the unaccounted for guy that touches the ball every play and can make a decision based on what you do after the snap. That's hard to beat.

    The problem is that putting the QB out in space leads to injury. So I would guess that having a stable of guys is preferable. Hell, Tom Herman routinely gets his QBs murdered...he won a national championship at OSU with his 3rd string guy.


  2. #52
    All Conference Cory93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,808
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    1,504
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 829 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac290 View Post
    I think that with the way the game is changing with more RPO & read option, and the fact that defenses are getting faster and more complex, having a QB that can tuck and run puts a ton of pressure on a defense. He's the unaccounted for guy that touches the ball every play and can make a decision based on what you do after the snap. That's hard to beat.

    The problem is that putting the QB out in space leads to injury. So I would guess that having a stable of guys is preferable. Hell, Tom Herman routinely gets his QBs murdered...he won a national championship at OSU with his 3rd string guy.
    So the reason to go 6 deep in that position is 1) You know you'll redshirt one/two of them anyway taking you down to 4 or 5 in a given year 2) You are trying to foster stiff competition amongst them all to bring out the real cream of the crop and 3) Because you expect at least what...2 deep attrition due to injury during the season taking you down to 2 or 3 active?

    Jason, to answer part of your response..I guess that was part of my last point....you don't WANT to lose anyone that you recruit and give a scholarship to, at least in theory (now of course, if they turn out to be a bad seed, or a lazy SOB, then yeah..BYE FELICIA!, but assuming everyone pans out to be the guy you thought they were, the idea is you don't want anyone to leave the program), and so it would seem to me that going too deep at any position (we could change this scenario to something like Kicker and having 3 dedicated kickers on your roster....trying to think of specialized positions that you can't really play at other spots, but maybe QB is sort of unique in that respect because even a kicker could become a punter, or vice versa...anyway, off track a bit), you run the risk of running one of those kids off and now you've got a scholarship you could be using elsewhere for another position player and you had recruiting time/energy you had that year or the year before you could have spent on another position where you may need more depth, but you overshot your wad on QB....see my point?

    I guess I'm just a little surprised we brought in two freshman and another JUCO QB to add to our stable QB's...and when I was writing this, I went and checked the UTSA site for our roster last season to see how many QB's we carried and it was 6 then, too, so I guess that's the magic number....although shit now....I'm wondering WHAT that number really is....according to the "screen cap" below....do we still have Beard and Garza on the roster? I was only accounting for Rivers, Harris and Edouard, and then the 3 adds this year when I cited the number 6. Do we know if Beard and Garza (or Edouard for that matter) are still around and that number is actually 8?

    6 Frank Harris QB 6-0 180 Fr. Schertz, Texas/Clemens HS
    8 Liam Beard QB 6-2 190 Fr. Round Rock, Texas/Round Rock HS
    12 Alin Edouard QB 6-3 190 So. Hialeah, Fla./Hialeah HS/Independence [Kan.] CC
    13 Brandon Garza QB 5-10 200 Jr. Harlingen, Texas/Harlingen HS/Houston
    14 Dalton Sturm QB 6-2 205 Sr. Goliad, Texas/Goliad HS
    17 Bryce Rivers QB 6-2 220 Fr. San Antonio, Texas/Stevens HS

  3. #53
    Varsity ademendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    413
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 227 Times in 111 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    This is going to sound crazy on the surface but at this particular point in time, I'm not worried about the backup situation and whether our season next year plays out in a way that we have to get to the point of heavily utilizing our backup. I say that because really at this point, we have NO idea what we really have in any of these kids either at this level (in the case of the two freshman and Harris) or in this system (with respect to our two JUCO transfers)... The only QB we sort of have an idea about is Rivers and obviously, we don't come away with a great feeling about him based on the snaps he took last year.

    I guess my point in all of this, playing armchair coach which I'm uniquely unqualified to do, is... Why do you need THAT much depth at QB? is that standard across most Universities? Coach did mention that they have a target number at every position and so I guess for his way of coaching an recruiting that number is 6...or maybe because JoJo was showing signs of being flipped from baseball and I think TX State, maybe the allure was too great with his potential to not pursue him and so we decided to overshoot our depth at QB just for him.

    And the only reason I even think about this stuff at all is because... If we are this deep.. Is one of these kids going to realize he's got no shot of playing anytime soon and bolts... And before you say, oh well... So sad, too bad... My only concern there is... In hindsight in that scenario, would we have been better served focusing our time and recruiting effort on grabbing another lineman or tight end and saving a scholly for that kid instead of trying to load up on QB's and saturating to the point where one of them is sure to go?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I dont know if they still do this but I do remember Texas tech was accustomed to having 5 QBs on their roster/depth chart every year. I personally donít mind the 6 based on class breakdown but Iím sure if a freshman or sophomore wins the starting spot then expect some of the older QBs or same class QBs to transfer. We can look at last year with Henderson and Manny Harris transferring after Rivers won the backup spot during spring practice.

  4. #54
    Varsity ademendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    413
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 227 Times in 111 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    So the reason to go 6 deep in that position is 1) You know you'll redshirt one/two of them anyway taking you down to 4 or 5 in a given year 2) You are trying to foster stiff competition amongst them all to bring out the real cream of the crop and 3) Because you expect at least what...2 deep attrition due to injury during the season taking you down to 2 or 3 active?

    Jason, to answer part of your response..I guess that was part of my last point....you don't WANT to lose anyone that you recruit and give a scholarship to, at least in theory (now of course, if they turn out to be a bad seed, or a lazy SOB, then yeah..BYE FELICIA!, but assuming everyone pans out to be the guy you thought they were, the idea is you don't want anyone to leave the program), and so it would seem to me that going too deep at any position (we could change this scenario to something like Kicker and having 3 dedicated kickers on your roster....trying to think of specialized positions that you can't really play at other spots, but maybe QB is sort of unique in that respect because even a kicker could become a punter, or vice versa...anyway, off track a bit), you run the risk of running one of those kids off and now you've got a scholarship you could be using elsewhere for another position player and you had recruiting time/energy you had that year or the year before you could have spent on another position where you may need more depth, but you overshot your wad on QB....see my point?

    I guess I'm just a little surprised we brought in two freshman and another JUCO QB to add to our stable QB's...and when I was writing this, I went and checked the UTSA site for our roster last season to see how many QB's we carried and it was 6 then, too, so I guess that's the magic number....although shit now....I'm wondering WHAT that number really is....according to the "screen cap" below....do we still have Beard and Garza on the roster? I was only accounting for Rivers, Harris and Edouard, and then the 3 adds this year when I cited the number 6. Do we know if Beard and Garza (or Edouard for that matter) are still around and that number is actually 8?

    6 Frank Harris QB 6-0 180 Fr. Schertz, Texas/Clemens HS
    8 Liam Beard QB 6-2 190 Fr. Round Rock, Texas/Round Rock HS
    12 Alin Edouard QB 6-3 190 So. Hialeah, Fla./Hialeah HS/Independence [Kan.] CC
    13 Brandon Garza QB 5-10 200 Jr. Harlingen, Texas/Harlingen HS/Houston
    14 Dalton Sturm QB 6-2 205 Sr. Goliad, Texas/Goliad HS
    17 Bryce Rivers QB 6-2 220 Fr. San Antonio, Texas/Stevens HS
    Sturm graduated so there will be 7 QBs on the roster next fall if nobody transfers. Not sure on who all redshirted this year but if I’m correct we will have 3 FR (2 RS FR),1 SOPH, 2 JR and 1 SR QB. I don’t see Garza (SR) being a threat since he’s been at UTSA for a while now and hasn’t cracked the top 2 spots hence bringing in the JC transfer for depth. In the end it will be a new QB next year no matter what and who knows which player will flourish under the new OC.

  5. #55
    All American FD2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,544
    Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    723
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,129 Posts

    Default

    Garza is a non-factor.

    Weeks will most likely redshirt in the Fall.

    Beard may be on the outside looking in.

    Ideally, Rivers and Harris will work on development while Edouard and Grundy provide the experience an offense needs but reality is Rivers, Harris, Edouard, Grundy will more likely battle for playing time. Problem is no one knows of all the QBs which will stand out and which will falter.

    Of the underclassmen on the roster, it's likely UTSA may lose one or two QBs but I wouldn't expect the coaches to stop recruiting QBs for fear of losing one that is currently on the roster, always have to stack talent.

  6. #56
    All Conference Cory93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,808
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    1,504
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 829 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ademendo View Post
    Sturm graduated so there will be 7 QBs on the roster next fall if nobody transfers. Not sure on who all redshirted this year but if Iím correct we will have 3 FR (2 RS FR),1 SOPH, 2 JR and 1 SR QB. I donít see Garza (SR) being a threat since heís been at UTSA for a while now and hasnít cracked the top 2 spots hence bringing in the JC transfer for depth. In the end it will be a new QB next year no matter what and who knows which player will flourish under the new OC.
    Ummmm...my math still tells me 8......6 (2017 roster total) - 1 (Sturm) + 3 (2 freshman, 1 JUCO) = 8 and I didn't even need a pivot table to calculate that....I knew all those UTSA Stat classes would come in handy eventually.

    Again, my numbers are under the assumption that someone like Garza or Edouard haven't left, which they very well may have....

  7. #57
    Varsity ademendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    413
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 227 Times in 111 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    Ummmm...my math still tells me 8......6 (2017 roster total) - 1 (Sturm) + 3 (2 freshman, 1 JUCO) = 8 and I didn't even need a pivot table to calculate that....I knew all those UTSA Stat classes would come in handy eventually.

    Again, my numbers are under the assumption that someone like Garza or Edouard haven't left, which they very well may have....
    Whos the other freshman QB coming in? All I’ve seen is Weeks and the juco transfer...

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ademendo For This Useful Post:


  9. #58
    All Conference Cory93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,808
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    1,504
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 829 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ademendo View Post
    Whos the other freshman QB coming in? All Iíve seen is Weeks and the juco transfer...
    My bad..I can't count...damn it's been a long week. I thought Cordale was a HS kid and we had another JUCO...so you are right....7 is the number.....6 - 1 +2.....DOH.

    Guess I needed that pivot table a little more than I thought and that my stats classes weren't shit...

    by the way, my failings devalue your degrees as well ;)

  10. #59
    Varsity ademendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    413
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 227 Times in 111 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    My bad..I can't count...damn it's been a long week. I thought Cordale was a HS kid and we had another JUCO...so you are right....7 is the number.....6 - 1 +2.....DOH.

    Guess I needed that pivot table a little more than I thought and that my stats classes weren't shit...

    by the way, my failings devalue your degrees as well ;)
    lol all good, it’s hard to stay sharp during off season

  11. #60
    All Conference Cory93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,808
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    1,504
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 829 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ademendo View Post
    lol all good, itís hard to stay sharp during off season
    I'm pretty dull during the season too...thinking it has something to do with tailgating ;)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •