Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would we have faired??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,430 Times in 2,335 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LRP View Post

isn't the HC ultimately also to blame for an OC's inept play-calling?

Yes but most head coaches get a mulligan if they fire their OC. If it happens a second time then the axe usually falls on the head coach.

I'm really hoping it was just a case of having too much faith in Scelfo, otherwise we might be headed for another disappointing season.
    Or if our next OC isn't any better. After all, you don't have to be overly conservative to be inept. I think the important thing is that we hire a guy who can best utilize our talent and properly tweak things as needed going forward, both during the off season as well as in real time during games. Look at the two-year turnaround at UNT, and the overnight turn-around at FAU. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems the way things work is that the head coach ultimately must be the most knowledgeable guy on the coaching staff, and if he isn't (again, Wilson was a RB coach before he came to us, so perhaps that's the case), he probably needs to put more faith in his OC and DC than he otherwise would. That of course means that the guys we hire for OC and DC could be far more important for us than it would for most other football programs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Volkmar For This Useful Post:

LRP

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,776 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    Speaking of coaching, I'd need you guys to help me with this... If the OC basically calls the offensive plays, and the DC pretty much calls the defense, what responsibility does the HC bear during a game? Motivational speeches? Maybe 'signing off' on what their OC and DC call? Confused as to how all this works with so many coaches, assistants, position coaches, drink technicians, assistant drink technicians, etc. Seems there are 10 different guys walking around in polos at any game, plus another handful in the booth.
    Final say on play calling. Veto power on play calling. During the games, they don't do much actual coaching. If you look for it, there are quite a few decisions that happen throughout the course of the game that the HC will make (time outs, penalties, punt/FG/go for it, conversions, yelling at refs, challenges). All of those decisions while also monitoring the play-by-play decisions of their coordinators. That's why you don't see too many coaches who call plays. It's just too much to handle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac290 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo
    Thanks

UTSA would have won the game. Any team that was better than 3-9 would have won this game against a "coachless" SMU team. No player had enough time to learn a new playbook and it would also be hard for a coach to rely on GAs and players to learn the old playbook. Probably were running about 15-20 different plays instead of the full 100+ playbook.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,968 Times in 2,221 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    Or if our next OC isn't any better. After all, you don't have to be overly conservative to be inept. I think the important thing is that we hire a guy who can best utilize our talent and properly tweak things as needed going forward, both during the off season as well as in real time during games. Look at the two-year turnaround at UNT, and the overnight turn-around at FAU. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems the way things work is that the head coach ultimately must be the most knowledgeable guy on the coaching staff, and if he isn't (again, Wilson was a RB coach before he came to us, so perhaps that's the case), he probably needs to put more faith in his OC and DC than he otherwise would. That of course means that the guys we hire for OC and DC could be far more important for us than it would for most other football programs.
    A good head coach should have a vision of the offense and defense he wants to run and then bring in the right coordinators to implement it.

Bob Stoops came from a pure defensive background but always had a strong offense at Oklahoma. It's possible for a head coach inexperienced with offense but properly use a coordinator to figure it out for him.

Frank Wilson sort of reminds me of Charlie Strong. Strong was a defensive coordinator in the SEC. He was a big proponent of ball control and defense wins games. At Texas he tried to implement that philosophy until he was forced to make the sacrificial firing of his OC. He brought in Sterlin Gilbert to implement a veer and shoot offense and liked it so much he took it with him to USF. Strong was able to change philosophies and succeed. Hopefully, Wilson is able to make the same adjustment without getting fired first.
    Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.