Thread: Just The Facts, Ma'am

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,146 Times in 2,235 Posts

Default Just The Facts, Ma'am

In my math class, I have something called "The Daily" where I share at least 3 random facts with my kids either before our lesson for the day, or after. They love this stuff, and remind me about it when they think I might forget. Anything to get kids excited about learning more about the world, right? Anyway, I decided to start something similar to this here. I likely won't share daily, rather as time permits, but am hoping others will have facts they can share as well. So here goes my really long first entry...

- Our bodies contain 10 times more bacteria cells than they do human cells.
    - The little plastic disc (often blue) inside soda bottle caps is there to prevent the soda from getting flat before it's even opened.
    - The Mariana Trench is as deep as about 25 Empire State Buildings stacked on top of one another.

- Seahorses don't have stomachs, just intestines, for the absorption of nutrients from food.
    - 25% of the bones in our bodies are in our feet.
    - Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson".

- There's a town in California called "You Bet".
    - A silkworm moth has 11 brains.
    - When you combine a question mark with an exclamation point (i.e. !?!?), it's called an interrobang.

- Astronauts can't cry in space because there's no gravity.
    - Bill Gates has given away over $28 Billion, which has helped save over 5 million lives.
    - The name for that post-rain smell is "petrichor".

- The guidance computer from the Apollo 11 Mission ran at about 1/6th of the processing power of an ordinary TI-83 calculator, and it took human beings to the moon.
    - The person who did the voice of Yoda also did the voice of Miss Piggy and Cookie Monster.
    - The English are sometimes called "limeys" because British sailors would often eat limes to prevent scurvy.

- Hawaii is moving toward Japan at a rate of about 4 inches per year.
    - As a punishment for misbehavior, Thai cops have to wear pink Hello Kitty armbands.
    - In the Republic of Albania, shaking your head means yes, and nodding your head means no.

- Dandruff comes from a fungus, not a dry scalp.
    - The Earth spins at approximately 1,037 mph, and trails through space at about 67,000 mph.
    - Fergie of The Black Eyed Peas was the voice of Sally in the Peanut cartoons.

- Bone is extraordinarily strong; ounce for ounce, it's actually stronger than steel.
    - Wedding cake was originally thrown at the bride and groom instead of eaten by them.
    - The symbol on the pound key (#) is called an Octothorpe.

- Scooby Doo's original name was "Too Much".
    - The King of Hearts is the only king in a deck of cards without a mustache.
    - The time difference between when Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus lived is greater than the time difference between Tyrannosaurus and now. So any pictures or movies depicting them fighting each other are completely fictional.

- Pablo Escobar, the Colombian drug lord, spent $2,500/month on rubber bands to wrap his stacks of cash.
    - Lamborghini started out by making tractors.
    - Dolphins sleep with one eye open.

- The only letter of the alphabet you won't find in the name of any US state is "Q".
    - The flashes of light you see when you rub your eyes are called "phosphenes".
    - You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.

- 72 hours of video are uploaded to Youtube every minute.
    - The car company "Volvo" is latin for "I roll".
    - During pregnancy, if the mother suffers organ damage, the baby in the womb sends stem cells to repair the damaged organ.

- There's a building in Dresden, Germany that plays music when it rains.
    - NERF stands for Non-Expanding Recreational Foam.
    - If all the world's water could fit into a gallon jug, the fresh water available to use would equal only about one tablespoon.

- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
    - The same person who sang, "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" was also the voice of Tony the Tiger.
    - Crayola's senior crayon maker, Emerson Moser, who molded a record-breaking 1.4 billion crayons in his 37-year career, announced upon his retirement that he was color blind.

- A set of human lungs has a surface area of about 70 square meters, greater than the area of a badminton court.
    - Having blue eyes is actually a mutation.
    - The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

- Outside the USA, Ireland is the largest software producing country in the world.
    - In Singapore, it's illegal to sell or own chewing gum.
    - Your brain has a negativity bias causing you to continually look for bad news.

- Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill.
    - In medieval times, one way of getting rid of someone without killing them, or if you couldn't find them, was to burn down their house. Hence the origin of "getting fired".
    - Military dogs are always one rank higher than their handler so if the handler mistreats his dog, then it'll be considered assaulting a superior officer.

- Pirates wore eye patches to have one eye adjusted for the top deck (sun light) and the other adjusted for darkness when going below deck. When they'd navigate from top to bottom and back, they'd just switch the patch to the other eye. Their patches really had nothing to do with them losing eyes.
    - Switching letters is called spoonerism. For example, the band names Buck Cherry and Com Truise.
    - In ancient Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Volkmar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,588 Times in 2,534 Posts

One for Texans...most don't know it.

The only natural lake in Texas is Lake Caddo. All the others were built by the Army Corps of Engineers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac290 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

My favorite 'spoonerism' derives from 'Smucker's Fudge.'

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 485 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mac290 View Post
    One for Texans...most don't know it.

The only natural lake in Texas is Lake Caddo. All the others were built by the Army Corps of Engineers.
    I had to look this one up.

According to the Texas Almanac there are many natural lakes. Lake Caddo is one of Texas's few non-oxbow natural lakes and is the 2nd largest in the south.

http://texasalmanac.com/topics/envir.../natural-lakes

There are many natural lakes in Texas, though none is of great size. The largest designated natural lake touching the border of Texas is Sabine Lake, into which the Sabine and Neches rivers discharge. It is more properly a bay of the Gulf of Mexico. Also near the coast, in Calhoun County, is Green Lake, which at about 10,000 acres is one of the state’s largest natural freshwater lakes.
    Caddo Lake, on the Texas-Louisiana border, was a natural lake originally, but its present capacity and surface area are largely due to dams built to raise the surface of the original body of water. Natural Dam Lake, in Howard County, has a similar history.
    In East Texas, there are many small natural lakes formed by “horse-shoe” bends that have been eliminated from the main channel of a river. There are also a number of these “horse-shoe” lakes along the Rio Grande in the lower valley, where they are called resacas.
    On the South Plains and west of San Angelo are lakes or "playas," such as Big Lake in Reagan County, that are usually dry.