Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting with RAF

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,129 Posts

UTSA Athletics is in no position financially to give away a large block of tickets. A good portion of their funding comes from ticket and suite sales, thus the reason for buying seats and donating them to troops. With UTSA first contract of the dome, the city charged "$1 per ticket sold, not including Student Tickets beginning with ticket number 20,001 and above". Not sure of the current rent figures now.

I am aware of a military appreciation for the UAB game but don't know the details.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FD2004 For This Useful Post:

From Boston, Massachusetts now in Houston
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    Btw... Don't even get me fucking started on our lack of investment in our military community. For us to be "Military City USA", stands should be filled with Soldiers Airmen and Seamen (don't) evert effin game. Pisses me off...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    +1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Rowdy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 964 Posts

Okay. I'll bring that up tomorrow. I'm meeting at 12:30

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P Casey For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    They've done the Seats for Soldiers promo for a few years and we've donated 4 seats each time.....it's a good gesture, but if you go back and look at the threads regarding this promo, the issue I've had is....where are they? Those military appreciation games where the seats for soldiers were purchased, you don't see the military members...and I'm not bringing this up because I'm going all conspiracy theorist and think the AD is lying and just taking those seats and counting them as attendance/profit, but because I think they should do a better job of specifically recognizing those folks. They do the whole salute to service with SOSA playing each Service's song and ask active/retired of each service to stand and be recognized, but what I was hoping for was a specific recognition of the seats for soldiers folks.

Ideally, I was hoping this promo was for airman or trainees in uniform so they truly stood out and it was obvious who the military members were, but I recognize that the promo may be tapping into folks who are at BAMC rehabbing, or just "regular" service folks enlisted/officers that are serving and that don't have to wear their uniforms (like trainees would) out in public and of course, I'm fine with that too....just think if you are going to run a promo designed to really honor our service folks, draw more attention to that specific group so that in future years, you get more and more investment in it.

I don't pretend to know how things work with regard to tickets and UTSA's control over there. I don't know if they can gift tickets to organizations or if ultimately someone has to pay for them. I don't know if the AD was to gift a block of 500-1000 tickets to trainees and wounded warriors each home game if that comes out of their profit somehow, and if it did, would they be able to file that as a donation for tax breaks, etc.....my point is..with as much military as we have in this town, I would like to see more presence at the game and not just on Military Appreciation day. Every home game should be military appreciation day as much influence as the military has on this community...and hey, we might just make a few life long fans out of them along the way..especially those that are going to be here a while, or are from places that don't really have a college team to root for.
    My thought was to have the selected service men and women to experience all the pre game ritual. Have them come the night before to the hotel for the home games. Have them see all pre game meetings, have dinner with them , stay and sleep at the hotel. Have breakfast with the team the next morning and have them drive the bus with the team to the stadium. Walk with the team during the spirit walk. Be on the sidelines for warmups and the game. That was my idea. A full immersion experience. That way they can tell their fellow comrades and families of their experience. To be honest, I don’t think it’s that hard and for me it’s the bear minimum we can do for our brave soldiers!

BIRDS UP!!!

BIRD CALL

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to italianrunner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

(Note to P Casey and others- just my thoughts - no answers or suggestions.)

I'm retired military. Being an avid sports fan, I often took advantage of 'free' or 'reduced price' tickets for sporting events. Back in the early days of the Spurs presence in San Antonio, we were able to buy tickets for $1 each. My wife, 3 sons and I were regular attendees at most of the home games for a total of $5. The seats were close to where the baseline bums were located.

Why I'm mentioning this is that there were a lot of empty seats in this section. Lack of promotion? No interest? A little of each, with the primary cause being the promotion issue. To get information on many of the reduced price/free events, you had to go to the Special Service office to find out what was available. It was how I learned of the reduced price Spurs tickets. Occasionally, the events would be posted in bulletins, that were largely unread.

Way back when, while waiting in New York for an overseas flight, I was able to pick up free tickets for a major fight promotion at Madison Square Garden; a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most of us. There were only two tickets available. Hard to believe that no one would grab those the minute they were listed. Right. I learned about the tickets by visiting the Special Service office.

I don't really know if there's been any change in this process. I expect not. Off topic, but typical of my experience, is the 'used car' lot on Lackland AFB I've sold 4 vehicles there. Other than online general information about the lot, I've never seen any advertising for its existence. The lot itself is unmarked.

All that being said, the fact is that the majority of active duty personnel on the military bases are not from San Antonio, and will be somewhere else in the next few years. They don't have a lot of interest in local sports. Purely from a marketing standpoint, it is not an inviting target, except that it is low cost, and it fulfills our patriotic duty to honor those who put their lives on the line for our country.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OldTimer For This Useful Post:

From Boston, Massachusetts now in Houston
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 824 Posts

Baseball season ticket holders need some loyalty points love. I understand baseball season tickets are cheaper. Give 1 point instead of the 2 points basketball season ticket holders get.

UTSA baseball needs more love.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Irish Rowdy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well we met for about 1.5 hours. There is definitely a push to have an on campus stadium & 10 years is right around the timeframe they want it to be close to having a plan in place.

the convo is also on the top of the list. Facilities at UTSA is the main priority, that and tier one.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P Casey For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A lot of fees and tuition is going up plus a drastic increase in donors and sponsors from the state & large companies has UTSA in a very good place with money. We are not lacking funds. I was shown some very good info & made a 7500 dollar donation to athletics.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to P Casey For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks

So for those who think we don't have money you are incorrect or misinformed.

The goal is to have facilities built on campus and the use of park west is in the master plan that was created in 2017. The convo will more than likely be gone by 2025-2028.

Run 'Em!
    Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,111 Times in 4,049 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by P Casey View Post
    I was shown some very good info & made a 7500 dollar donation to athletics.
    Hot damn. Way to go.
    Run 'Em Roadrunners!
    Airborne, All The Way!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to UTSA Paratrooper 2004 For This Useful Post: