Thread: The Pro Rugby Thread (Sevens Series, World Cup, MLR, etc)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,109 Times in 845 Posts

Salute The Pro Rugby Thread (Sevens Series, World Cup, MLR, etc)

I have a feeling rugby might get some new fans in the next year or so.

World Rugby Sevens Series kicks off on December 1. The US is also hosting the 2018 Sevens World Cup in San Francisco next summer.

Major League Rugby begins play in 2018, with teams in Houston, Austin, and NOLA to name a few. This is full 15-a-side rugby union, and they've managed to sign some pretty big names already.

If you're new to the sport, start with sevens. You will not be disappointed. And get acquainted with USA's Perry Baker. The former Fairmont State football player is one of the world's best sevens players.
    UTSA Class of '11 --- @DarrellEW --- @RowdyReport --- RowdyReport.com --- r/UTSARoadrunners

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,643 Posts

Is this because soccer is losing fans?
    Way to go Team USA.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellEW View Post
    I have a feeling rugby might get some new fans in the next year or so.

World Rugby Sevens Series kicks off on December 1. The US is also hosting the 2018 Sevens World Cup in San Francisco next summer.

Major League Rugby begins play in 2018, with teams in Houston, Austin, and NOLA to name a few. This is full 15-a-side rugby union, and they've managed to sign some pretty big names already.

If you're new to the sport, start with sevens. You will not be disappointed. And get acquainted with USA's Perry Baker. The former Fairmont State football player is one of the world's best sevens players.

I had no idea there was going to be a rugby league in the US. I'd compare the rugby following to lacrosse, which also has a "pro" league. It's mostly regional and really popular in some colleges. But anytime we put out an international team it should get a ton of exposure so we'll see. I'd be all for it.

Fun fact: I learned all the rugby I know from a Playstation 2 video game my grandmother inexplicably got me for Christmas when I was in high school. Bless her soul.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoadRummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,806 Times in 2,643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRummer View Post
    Fun fact: I learned all the rugby I know from a Playstation 2 video game my grandmother inexplicably got me for Christmas when I was in high school. Bless her soul.
    Ha. My grandmother got me Blades of Steel on the NES one year. I knew jack shit about hockey, and still don't. But the fact that there was a rugby game on PS2 sends me into a hypnosis.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac290 For This Useful Post: