Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Marketing for UTSA - What is the problem?

              
   
   
   
  1. #51
    All Conference
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,247
    Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 516 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellEW View Post
    The city has all the leverage in contract negotiations right now. That's the whole reason UTSA signed such a long contract in the first place. It would be far easier for the city to find six more concerts or Mexican soccer matches or Disney on Ices or what have you, than for us to find $50 million for a new stadium. I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp.
    I don't think either UTSA or the CoSA has leverage, UTSA needed a facility for it's football team and construction of a new stadium is expensive for a start up or having games at Alamo Stadium may have suppressed any enthusiasm for the team. You had the city in desperate need a football tenant since it's attempts for professional football have not produced results and it's prospects in the future are slim to none.

    And judging from the contract, this appears to be a win-win for both UTSA and the city and it appears to be a relationship that is in very good terms enough to renegotiate two years into what was a five year deal.

  2. #52
    All Conference DarrellEW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,257
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    942
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 520 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FD2004 View Post
    I don't think either UTSA or the CoSA has leverage, UTSA needed a facility for it's football team and construction of a new stadium is expensive for a start up or having games at Alamo Stadium may have suppressed any enthusiasm for the team. You had the city in desperate need a football tenant since it's attempts for professional football have not produced results and it's prospects in the future are slim to none.

    And judging from the contract, this appears to be a win-win for both UTSA and the city and it appears to be a relationship that is in very good terms enough to renegotiate two years into what was a five year deal.
    I completely agree that the current contract is mutually beneficial. If it wasn't, then we likely wouldn't even have a football team. I just don't think the city has any incentive to renegotiate and give us a bigger piece of the pie currently. Although, I'm not a San Antonio taxpayer, so if they want to just throw money our way I won't complain.
    UTSA Class of '11 --- @DarrellEW --- RowdyReport.com

  3. #53
    All Conference
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,247
    Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 516 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P Casey View Post
    You also need to realize the investments going on inside the football program as well as the school. The investment in a head football coach, practice facilities, new campus buildings, upgrades to the dome, success of the program, advertising, etc. that the school may be spending. Those factors all can contribute to the overall improvement of the dome & ticket sales, etc. While the city can just sit back & do nothing but reap the same rewards from the original contract even though things have drastically changed. Such as a new conference or TV money. The contracts should always be looked at and reviewed based on a number of things.
    UTSA nor UTSA Athletics are not investing in upgrades to the dome. The city is investing tens of millions of dollars to the Alamodome and UTSA football is benefiting from that investment without putting up a dime of it's own money.

    The money is coming from city's Hotel Tax, Alamodome's contigency fund and ticket sales to events held at the Alamodome. UTSA has the dome for 7-8 events minimum, UTSA does not maintain the dome, does not book events at the dome, and is not responsible for any events not relating to UTSA so to honestly think, the city is doing nothing but just sitting back and reaping the rewards is delusional.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FD2004 For This Useful Post:


  5. #54
    All American P Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Helotes
    Posts
    2,412
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 607 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FD2004 View Post
    UTSA nor UTSA Athletics are not investing in upgrades to the dome. The city is investing tens of millions of dollars to the Alamodome and UTSA football is benefiting from that investment without putting up a dime of it's own money.

    The money is coming from city's Hotel Tax, Alamodome's contigency fund and ticket sales to events held at the Alamodome. UTSA has the dome for 7-8 events minimum, UTSA does not maintain the dome, does not book events at the dome, and is not responsible for any events not relating to UTSA so to honestly think, the city is doing nothing but just sitting back and reaping the rewards is delusional.

    Theyre not doing much man. From what they have done in the past, if you think they are doing a great deal you're delusional.

  6. #55
    All American P Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Helotes
    Posts
    2,412
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 607 Posts

    Default

    I know they are increasing parking and ticket prices over 20 years. What else is the city doing to pay for the renovations? I'm asking I don't know the answer.

  7. #56
    All Conference
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,247
    Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 516 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P Casey View Post
    Theyre not doing much man. From what they have done in the past, if you think they are doing a great deal you're delusional.
    I didn't say the city was doing a great deal, only mentioned the city is putting up $50 million for UTSA football will benefit. The city is the landlord and maintains the dome.

    You said UTSA investment included "upgrades to the dome", I don't recall UTSA hiring a new food service company nor UTSA purchasing new astroturf nor UTSA putting up a dime from their athletic fund for upgrades to the dome. Probably the only reward the city gets from UTSA is less effort in finding dates to fill.

  8. #57
    All Conference
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,247
    Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 516 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P Casey View Post
    I know they are increasing parking and ticket prices over 20 years. What else is the city doing to pay for the renovations? I'm asking I don't know the answer.

    Money is coming from the Valero Alamo Bowl, increased fees on tickets sold for events at the Alamodome, the city's Hotel Tax and the Alamodome's Contigency and Improvement fund.

    There may be some other sources but I'm not familiar with those sources.

  9. #58
    All American P Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Helotes
    Posts
    2,412
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 607 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FD2004 View Post
    I didn't say the city was doing a great deal, only mentioned the city is putting up $50 million for UTSA football will benefit. The city is the landlord and maintains the dome.

    You said UTSA investment included "upgrades to the dome", I don't recall UTSA hiring a new food service company nor UTSA purchasing new astroturf nor UTSA putting up a dime from their athletic fund for upgrades to the dome. Probably the only reward the city gets from UTSA is less effort in finding dates to fill.

    Again, you're reading one little bit at a time. I'm saying in the overall scope, that's why I included future possibilities, such as TV money & advertising.The dome is improving and so are things around the school that has an impact on the program. The city is just increasing costs to pay for the renovations which were desperately needed. I just said investments which is what the renovations are being done to the dome are considered, so is the increase in pay for a coach, so is advertising for the dome and the games being played there some of which the school is actively doing.

  10. #59
    All American P Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Helotes
    Posts
    2,412
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    692
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 607 Posts

    Default

    How about we all meet at the Houston game and talk about it. That's the best idea.

    ill buy the beer. : ). Too much typing

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to P Casey For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •