Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASN Shutting Down?

Varsity
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellEW View Post
    Here's the release from January about their initial 24/7 channel launch: http://americansportsnet.com/news/as...work-on-monday

Since then they've added a lot more cities, but only San Antonio (KMYS-2) and Houston (KEHO LD-5) in Texas.

Here's the most recent clearance report I could find, which includes all the new channels (anything with ASN in parentheses): http://www.conferenceusa.com/documen...ED.pdf?id=4855
    Don't see anything on the clearance roster other than the channel 2 spot for the SA market.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 496 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Early Bird View Post
    Don't see anything on the clearance roster other than the channel 2 spot for the SA market.
    Yeah, that's my point. Those of you wanting Joe Casual to just stumble across our games weren't/aren't going to get it with the new ASN setup.
    UTSA Class of '11 --- @DarrellEW --- RowdyReport.com

Varsity
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellEW View Post
    Yeah, that's my point. Those of you wanting Joe Casual to just stumble across our games weren't/aren't going to get it with the new ASN setup.
    My point is you have not shown that the ASN SA affiliate would be on anything other than the over-the-air channel that is on most basic packages in SA market.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 496 Posts

My point is you have not shown that the ASN SA affiliate would be on anything other than the over-the-air channel that is on most basic packages in SA market.
    I could be wrong, but most cable/satellite packages don't include subchannels. Do you get KMYS-2?
    UTSA Class of '11 --- @DarrellEW --- RowdyReport.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DarrellEW For This Useful Post:

All Conference
    Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 468 Posts

Being reported, ASN appears to be going away and a new entity may takes its place. Unsure of who will take over or what the new entity will be. (Link: http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2...k-updates.html )

For those wishing for an alliance with big networks, such as from ESPN and Fox Sports, the networks control dates and TV times and CUSA is in no position to demand control of gamedays and start times. The MAC for 2017 have zero football games on Saturdays, games are scheduled for Tues, Wed and Thurs nights. Also, the Sun Belt have midweek games on ESPN2 and their Saturday games are on ESPN3.

Now, it's been reported the Mountain West is considering cutting the cord despite a football and basketball contract with ESPN and CBS for that reason. (Link: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...310-story.html )

Thompson met with the conference’s presidents and athletic directors earlier in the week, and he said the clear sentiment was “to reassess” the increasing control of television in the marquee sports of football and men’s basketball. A semifinal at 9:30 p.m. (that actually tipped at 9:52) followed by a 3 p.m. final the next day - a 15-hour turnaround for athletes who will be playing their third or fourth game in as many days - was the decision of CBS, which is the Mountain West’s primary rights holder.

Football games also have been kicking off later and later in recent years due at TV’s behest, finishing close to midnight and driving down ticket sales. Boise State, which has a separate ESPN deal, hasn’t played a home game during the day since the 2013 season opener (and season tickets, not surprisingly, have dropped for four straight years).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FD2004 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,267 Posts

Like it or not, streaming is quickly becoming the new model for live delivery. I don't think this is a bad thing long-term. In the short term it may put a kink in things but I think CUSA may be in a more favorable position because of contract timing to be at the forefront of what is inevitably coming. If the CUSA leadership were smart, they'd be in talks already with Youtube TV, Hulu, Roku, Sling TV and others. I've also heard that NetFlix is planning on getting into the live TV streaming business.

Why is this important? Because all of those services, like ESPN3, already have end-user delivery platform apps that are built into most new TV's, Blu-Ray/Disc players, Apple TV, Chromecast, and even some cable & satellite set-top boxes. Even DirecTV's current boxes have a Youtube app built in. Imagine if CUSA could ensure that all games would be streamed on Youtube TV? The potential for the future is much larger than the current contract landscape would allow for non-premier conferences.

As was stated before, ASN simply allows local channels that don't want to use their own crews to cover games to outsource that production. It is actually part of a West Palm Beach, FL station (WPEC) and the production quality is complete crap.

I'd recommend going all in with BeIn for broadcast games. Their production and coverage is top-notch. Then completely embrace the emerging streaming services that already have built-in apps and are not simply browser-based. It's really not hard for a bar owner to use a built-in app on either their TV or DirecTV box. Yes, initially it's going to be different and therefore, will be pushback. In the end though, this train has already left the station. Wait until some of these P-5's start trying to renegotiate their next traditional contracts and find out that the money is just not there anymore. I'd rather be the conference that was prepared than the one playing catchup.

RE: "Boise State, which has a separate ESPN deal, hasn’t played a home game during the day since the 2013 season opener... " My God, can you imagine that fugly blue field in the daylight.
    Win or go home... I don't give a f*** about moral victories!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to textodd For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by textodd View Post
    Like it or not, streaming is quickly becoming the new model for live delivery. I don't think this is a bad thing long-term. In the short term it may put a kink in things but I think CUSA may be in a more favorable position because of contract timing to be at the forefront of what is inevitably coming. If the CUSA leadership were smart, they'd be in talks already with Youtube TV, Hulu, Roku, Sling TV and others. I've also heard that NetFlix is planning on getting into the live TV streaming business.

Why is this important? Because all of those services, like ESPN3, already have end-user delivery platform apps that are built into most new TV's, Blu-Ray/Disc players, Apple TV, Chromecast, and even some cable & satellite set-top boxes. Even DirecTV's current boxes have a Youtube app built in. Imagine if CUSA could ensure that all games would be streamed on Youtube TV? The potential for the future is much larger than the current contract landscape would allow for non-premier conferences.

As was stated before, ASN simply allows local channels that don't want to use their own crews to cover games to outsource that production. It is actually part of a West Palm Beach, FL station (WPEC) and the production quality is complete crap.

I'd recommend going all in with BeIn for broadcast games. Their production and coverage is top-notch. Then completely embrace the emerging streaming services that already have built-in apps and are not simply browser-based. It's really not hard for a bar owner to use a built-in app on either their TV or DirecTV box. Yes, initially it's going to be different and therefore, will be pushback. In the end though, this train has already left the station. Wait until some of these P-5's start trying to renegotiate their next traditional contracts and find out that the money is just not there anymore. I'd rather be the conference that was prepared than the one playing catchup.

RE: "Boise State, which has a separate ESPN deal, hasn’t played a home game during the day since the 2013 season opener... " My God, can you imagine that fugly blue field in the daylight.
    So, bottom line, UTSA football is over before it really got started. The future of the program is going to be dependent on older fans, including alumns, needed to buy the season tickets and suites for a team that will only be broadcast on media platforms embraced largely by a younger audience. That seems like an unsustainable model.

Thanks

So, bottom line, UTSA football is over before it really got started. The future of the program is going to be dependent on older fans, including alumns, needed to buy the season tickets and suites for a team that will only be broadcast on media platforms embraced largely by a younger audience. That seems like an unsustainable model.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 88
Size:  423.7 KB
    You seem to kinda get it, but then again, not. The old, over-the-air/cable model is over, finished, done. Not just for CUSA, but for everyone. The boat loads of cash the major networks were willing to throw at college football are pretty-much done. Those networks are losing their asses right now because of those deals. EVERYONE is going to be trying to find new deals that make money and provide exposure in the new model of distribution. Isn't it better to be on the front end of that wave and be able to find out what works and what doesn't before everyone else? I'm sorry, I'm just not going to be as pessimistic as you. If my 72 year old, technically-challenged, mother can figure out and use streaming services all the time on her own, anyone can. Trust me on that. Plus, this is about the future, not the past.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to textodd For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by textodd View Post
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 88
Size:  423.7 KB
    You seem to kinda get it, but then again, not. The old, over-the-air/cable model is over, finished, done. Not just for CUSA, but for everyone. The boat loads of cash the major networks were willing to throw at college football are pretty-much done. Those networks are losing their asses right now because of those deals. EVERYONE is going to be trying to find new deals that make money and provide exposure in the new model of distribution. Isn't it better to be on the front end of that wave and be able to find out what works and what doesn't before everyone else? I'm sorry, I'm just not going to be as pessimistic as you. If my 72 year old, technically-challenged, mother can figure out and use streaming services all the time on her own, anyone can. Trust me on that. Plus, this is about the future, not the past.
    I think Early Bird' post is overly hyperbolic but yours is overly optimistic. The cable model isn't finished, it's finishing. College football will remain on this model until the mid 2020's once most of the P5 conference media contracts expire. In the meantime, CUSA is desperately trying to find whatever media outlets are willing to show our games.

I agree with your vision of the future but it's still very much in the future. As you mentioned earlier, it's good for the long term but not really for the short term. Unfortunately, UTSA is still in the branding phase and being a media pioneer is not in our best interest. Not that we have a choice but I think it's safe to say we are dealing with a necessary but shitty situation.
    Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LRP View Post
    I think Early Bird' post is overly hyperbolic but yours is overly optimistic. The cable model isn't finished, it's finishing. College football will remain on this model until the mid 2020's once most of the P5 conference media contracts expire. In the meantime, CUSA is desperately trying to find whatever media outlets are willing to show our games.

I agree with your vision of the future but it's still very much in the future. As you mentioned earlier, it's good for the long term but not really for the short term. Unfortunately, UTSA is still in the branding phase and being a media pioneer is not in our best interest. Not that we have a choice but I think it's safe to say we are dealing with a necessary but shitty situation.
    I agree somewhat. All of the P-5 contracts expire in 2023. So in essence the G-5 has 6 years to make it's case for both competitiveness and profitability. What I'm really saying is that I'm actually glad CUSA is going to have the full 6 years to figure it out.

I also think there's a slight possibility the top 20-30 programs may leave the NCAA altogether in football and form essentially another pro league. Eventually, the NCAA is going to have to step in and say something that keeps the sport competitive and retain it's amateur standing. When that happens, what's to stop those schools from acting in their own financial self-interest and bolting? I'm not sure that would be bad. A clear delineation between pro and amateur/college programs might be better in the long run. No more trying to impossibly keep up with the Joneses. Plus, not everyone wants to watch pro ball. There's an entertaining innocence to college football that is lost in the NFL. It's one of the reasons I prefer college football (and basketball for that matter) and I'm certain I'm not alone.

If that happens, how does that affect the distribution model?