Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ASN Shutting Down?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 507 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    I think my biggest thing besides my own personal experiences with laggy/dropped connections which probably has more to do with my hardware than campus insiders setup is that the streaming stuff really hampers viewing parties. Not many places willing to go thru the hassle of that type of setup. At least with ASN broadcasts, I think most sports bars have extensive enough of a Direct TV or Dish sports packages that they got those broadcasts way out on the fringe sports channels and so places would be much more receptive to grabbing a remote and tuning to that channel than they would going thru all the gyrations necessary to pull down a streaming game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    The issue with ASN is that it wasn't a fringe sports channel; it wasn't even a channel at all. It was a syndication platform that sold the games to various local networks. That meant that even the bulkiest cable/satellite packages wouldn't give you access to the games unless you lived in the handful of places that paid money to air a game between UTSA and Old Dominion, for example. And unsurprisingly, most locales didn't pick it up, so 99% of the country couldn't watch it. Living in California, I don't expect to have the same access you guys have, but fans/alumni in Houston and Dallas should at least be able to watch, and they weren't. I get the issues around streaming. Hardware and/or network issues can be a pain to deal with, but at least everyone has the option of watching the game.
    UTSA Class of '11 --- @DarrellEW --- RowdyReport.com

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,689 Times in 1,691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fear The Beak View Post
    Not sure going from TV to streaming can be considered a win.
    It's not a win at all.

Going to streaming only is a fat greasy turd. There is no way to put a positive spin on it.

Sure all 900 UTSA fans are happy to stream a game but losing the local TV audience is bad. Most are casual fans and will not jump through hoops to watch our games when they can tune into a Longhorn or Aggie game.
    Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LRP For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LRP View Post
    It's not a win at all.

Going to streaming only is a fat greasy turd. There is no way to put a positive spin on it.

Sure all 900 UTSA fans are happy to stream a game but losing the local TV audience is bad. Most are casual fans and will not jump through hoops to watch our games when they can tune into a Longhorn or Aggie game.
    And those casual fans are going to pull out their antennas and flip to 35.2 to watch it in SD?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellEW View Post
    And those casual fans are going to pull out their antennas and flip to 35.2 to watch it in SD?
    An antenna wasn't needed. It was broadcast on cable. I know of several people that were not fans that came across our games while channel flipping on cable.

Thanks

An antenna wasn't needed. It was broadcast on cable. I know of several people that were not fans that came across our games while channel flipping on cable.
    In the last couple months, ASN launched its own dedicated channel in San Antonio (KMYS-2, 35.2) that would show all the games going forward.

Thanks

Anyways, this might all be a bunch of #fakenews. Some other reports have come out that ASN itself isn't shutting down, but that they've gotten rid of their in-house management/operation teams and are bringing in some new partner (maybe Campus Insiders?) to take over that side of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DarrellEW For This Useful Post:

LRP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellEW View Post
    In the last couple months, ASN launched its own dedicated channel in San Antonio (KMYS-2, 35.2) that would show all the games going forward.
    Were they going to drop all cable broadcasts on the CW next year? If so, yeah that's as shitty as streaming only.

Either way, this will be bad.

Thanks

Were they going to drop all cable broadcasts on the CW next year? If so, yeah that's as shitty as streaming only.

Either way, this will be bad.
    That was my understanding. The early rounds of the conference basketball tournament, for example, were shown exclusively on 35.2, not 35.1 (KMYS/CW).

Varsity
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    I think my biggest thing besides my own personal experiences with laggy/dropped connections which probably has more to do with my hardware than campus insiders setup is that the streaming stuff really hampers viewing parties. Not many places willing to go thru the hassle of that type of setup. At least with ASN broadcasts, I think most sports bars have extensive enough of a Direct TV or Dish sports packages that they got those broadcasts way out on the fringe sports channels and so places would be much more receptive to grabbing a remote and tuning to that channel than they would going thru all the gyrations necessary to pull down a streaming game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Could not state it better. This program needs mainstream exposure - not buffered web broadcasts that only the most loyal fans are going to hunt for and struggle through.

Thanks

Here's the release from January about their initial 24/7 channel launch: http://americansportsnet.com/news/as...work-on-monday

Since then they've added a lot more cities, but only San Antonio (KMYS-2) and Houston (KEHO LD-5) in Texas.

Here's the most recent clearance report I could find, which includes all the new channels (anything with ASN in parentheses): http://www.conferenceusa.com/documen...ED.pdf?id=4855

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarrellEW For This Useful Post: