Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Pres. Romo Under Investigation?

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

I don't know what the full article says but I'm sickened by the whole thing. People are entitled to feel how they feel but c'mon if you don't want to be hugged or touched you say so. If it happens again then you go to HR. If this is truly all there is then the way this was handled from beginning to end is absolutely disgusting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,310 Times in 679 Posts

Here's the article:

An internal investigation into Ricardo Romo, conducted before he resigned as president of the University of Texas at San Antonio this month, determined it was “more likely than not” that Romo violated UTSA's sexual harassment policies in connection with hugs he gave three employees.

Released Monday in response to an open records request by the Express-News, the report said the female complainants described Romo’s hugging them as “disgusting,” “perverted” and even physically hurtful. In an interview, Romo’s lawyer rejected its findings.

The information gained in the probe “supports the conclusion that President Romo engaged in sexual harassment and sexual misconduct against the victims,” the report’s executive summary stated.

The report was sent from Trey Atchley, chief inquiry officer of the University of Texas System and the lead investigator, to Chancellor William McRaven on Feb. 22.

All three complainants, who were Romo’s employees, told investigators they feared they would get fired if they did not hug Romo, the report says.

Romo was put on administrative leave with pay Feb. 14 pending an investigation regarding his conduct. He resigned March 3, when the investigation closed. It was his last academic year as president of UTSA — he had announced his pending retirement last September.

Ricardo Cedillo, Romo’s lawyer, called the investigation “a complete hatchet job” and “fatally flawed.”

He said Atchley, the lead investigator, was “setting Dr. Romo up,” and that the “so-called investigation” was a “character assassination.”

In a 19-page response to UT System officials dated Feb. 24, he said the probe failed to address key aspects of the situation, including the preponderance of “abrazos,” or embraces, in Latino culture.

Romo’s chief of staff, Sonia Martinez, was put on leave with pay the same day as Romo and continues to be on leave.

Sources have said two of his staff members were fired, then rehired shortly before Romo was put on leave. Cedillo’s prepared response said these staff members filed complaints against Romo as an act of retaliation — one shortly before being fired and the other long after.

Upon his resignation, Romo released a statement acknowledging he had given “abrazos” to co-workers but said he had “no improper intent.” He added that “if they were thought improper and offensive, then they were.”

According to the investigation report, when UT investigators notified Romo who the three complainants were, Romo said one was “a serial liar,” another “a liar” and the third “an occasional liar.”

Romo also contested the complainants’ description of the frequency of the hugs and called one of the complainants “a very good employee, outgoing, gregarious, and a hugger,” according to the report.

Romo also acknowledged that one employee told him his hug lasted too long and he told the investigators he stopped hugging her after that. But the report also asserts that Romo exhibited “obsessive and jealous behavior” after one accuser told Romo she was uncomfortable hugging him in September 2014.

When informed that one of his employees found the hugs inappropriate, Romo said he was surprised, the report said.

Investigators interviewed numerous witnesses, reviewed emails and examined “photographs of the employees saved on President Romo’s computers,” the report says.

The first complaint against Romo noted in the report was on Jan. 5, made through a

UTSA reporting hotline.

Fifteen days later, McRaven, the UT chancellor, received an anonymous letter with a similar complaint against Romo.

One accuser told investigators that when she told Romo to stop hugging her, he said, “You know I’m like that.”

Witnesses said they had seen Romo grab one of his employees around the waist in public and that he “made (an unnamed complainant’s) life miserable.”

Sexual harassment is defined in the UTSA Handbook of Operating Procedures as “unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature” that includes “unwelcome intentional touching” or “deliberate physical interference with or restriction of movement.”

According to one accuser’s statement in the report, Romo had told her he didn’t have many friends “because he was never sure who he could trust.”

“He went on to tell me how beautiful I looked … and that he had taken many pictures of me and then asked for a hug,” the statement continues.

But Cedillo maintains that this narrative is simply untrue. He said he has known Romo since he was 7 — they grew up in the same neighborhood on the West Side, where Romo was a Fox Tech High School track star.

“He’s an icon, he’s someone that we’ve all looked up to. He epitomizes the American dream. And yeah, I respect him and I’ve admired him most of my life, from the time I saw him running up and down the West Side.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Giving up drinking is the easiest thing in the world to do, I know becasue I've done it thousands of times!" -Mark Twain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PB3 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTRunner View Post
    I don't know what the full article says but I'm sickened by the whole thing. People are entitled to feel how they feel but c'mon if you don't want to be hugged or touched you say so. If it happens again then you go to HR. If this is truly all there is then the way this was handled from beginning to end is absolutely disgusting.
    I agree with you GT. haven't read the full article so not sure what else it says based on investigation, so at the risk of sounding dumber than I usually do if the article directly addresses any of what I'm about to say... I still don't get it... Yes, I've been thru more than my fair share of harassment trainings in my managerial role at my company so I know that the letter of the law says that physical contact of this nature falls very much within the boundaries of that which could be deemed unwanted sexual advancement / harassment and not only by the recipient of said contact but also by observers of said contact. That all being said, I keep going back to the timing of it all too. It's not as if Romo just suddenly over night started embracing folks. He's done so from the beginning so this was not uncharacteristic behavior for him. If these were not brand new employees, then why did they, after all these years decide to come forward at the end of his tenure and file the complaint? I know.. I know... Tons of cases of people not feeling comfortable outing behavior they dislike, etc until they either finally work up the courage or find that they have strength in numbers and maybe that's the case with these three... Wasn't until they all found they had a common thread that they felt they could bring a formal complaint against a formidable staff member. I'm really trying to keep an open mind in this and see all angles and not let my personal biases weigh in but again, just having a difficult time swallowing that there was anything salacious in Romo's intent and like GT said, gotta imagine that if these employees had just expressed their feelings about the embraces, it would have ceased and without repercussion.

Just sucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,631 Times in 1,665 Posts

It sounds like there was a history inappropriate touching.
    Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LRP For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PB3 View Post
    Here's the article:

An internal investigation into Ricardo Romo, conducted before he resigned as president of the University of Texas at San Antonio this month, determined it was “more likely than not” that Romo violated UTSA's sexual harassment policies in connection with hugs he gave three employees.

Released Monday in response to an open records request by the Express-News, the report said the female complainants described Romo’s hugging them as “disgusting,” “perverted” and even physically hurtful. In an interview, Romo’s lawyer rejected its findings.

The information gained in the probe “supports the conclusion that President Romo engaged in sexual harassment and sexual misconduct against the victims,” the report’s executive summary stated.

The report was sent from Trey Atchley, chief inquiry officer of the University of Texas System and the lead investigator, to Chancellor William McRaven on Feb. 22.

All three complainants, who were Romo’s employees, told investigators they feared they would get fired if they did not hug Romo, the report says.

Romo was put on administrative leave with pay Feb. 14 pending an investigation regarding his conduct. He resigned March 3, when the investigation closed. It was his last academic year as president of UTSA — he had announced his pending retirement last September.

Ricardo Cedillo, Romo’s lawyer, called the investigation “a complete hatchet job” and “fatally flawed.”

He said Atchley, the lead investigator, was “setting Dr. Romo up,” and that the “so-called investigation” was a “character assassination.”

In a 19-page response to UT System officials dated Feb. 24, he said the probe failed to address key aspects of the situation, including the preponderance of “abrazos,” or embraces, in Latino culture.

Romo’s chief of staff, Sonia Martinez, was put on leave with pay the same day as Romo and continues to be on leave.

Sources have said two of his staff members were fired, then rehired shortly before Romo was put on leave. Cedillo’s prepared response said these staff members filed complaints against Romo as an act of retaliation — one shortly before being fired and the other long after.

Upon his resignation, Romo released a statement acknowledging he had given “abrazos” to co-workers but said he had “no improper intent.” He added that “if they were thought improper and offensive, then they were.”

According to the investigation report, when UT investigators notified Romo who the three complainants were, Romo said one was “a serial liar,” another “a liar” and the third “an occasional liar.”

Romo also contested the complainants’ description of the frequency of the hugs and called one of the complainants “a very good employee, outgoing, gregarious, and a hugger,” according to the report.

Romo also acknowledged that one employee told him his hug lasted too long and he told the investigators he stopped hugging her after that. But the report also asserts that Romo exhibited “obsessive and jealous behavior” after one accuser told Romo she was uncomfortable hugging him in September 2014.

When informed that one of his employees found the hugs inappropriate, Romo said he was surprised, the report said.

Investigators interviewed numerous witnesses, reviewed emails and examined “photographs of the employees saved on President Romo’s computers,” the report says.

The first complaint against Romo noted in the report was on Jan. 5, made through a

UTSA reporting hotline.

Fifteen days later, McRaven, the UT chancellor, received an anonymous letter with a similar complaint against Romo.

One accuser told investigators that when she told Romo to stop hugging her, he said, “You know I’m like that.”

Witnesses said they had seen Romo grab one of his employees around the waist in public and that he “made (an unnamed complainant’s) life miserable.”

Sexual harassment is defined in the UTSA Handbook of Operating Procedures as “unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature” that includes “unwelcome intentional touching” or “deliberate physical interference with or restriction of movement.”

According to one accuser’s statement in the report, Romo had told her he didn’t have many friends “because he was never sure who he could trust.”

“He went on to tell me how beautiful I looked … and that he had taken many pictures of me and then asked for a hug,” the statement continues.

But Cedillo maintains that this narrative is simply untrue. He said he has known Romo since he was 7 — they grew up in the same neighborhood on the West Side, where Romo was a Fox Tech High School track star.

“He’s an icon, he’s someone that we’ve all looked up to. He epitomizes the American dream. And yeah, I respect him and I’ve admired him most of my life, from the time I saw him running up and down the West Side.”

well hell.....i gotta say, if the stuff about the pictures on the computer and the "you know I'm just like that" and the grabbing around the waist and all of that is irrefutably true, then not much more i can say about things here. That's pretty clear harassment. About the only other thing that probably should have happened at some point is that he should have been sent for targeted sensitivity/harassment training before it got to the point it did. I know at most companies, unless it's just ridiculously overt or malicious behavior, you are at least given a chance to correct it through mediation/training, etc. before full-on sanctions or termination are invoked, but having said that, pretty damning material in that article.

FNG
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    well hell.....i gotta say, if the stuff about the pictures on the computer and the "you know I'm just like that" and the grabbing around the waist and all of that is irrefutably true, then not much more i can say about things here. That's pretty clear harassment. About the only other thing that probably should have happened at some point is that he should have been sent for targeted sensitivity/harassment training before it got to the point it did. I know at most companies, unless it's just ridiculously overt or malicious behavior, you are at least given a chance to correct it through mediation/training, etc. before full-on sanctions or termination are invoked, but having said that, pretty damning material in that article.
    Gotta agree here. Although I wish Roma's tenure hadn't ended this way, I am glad the system worked through a thorough investigation and took appropriate action against a very high profile and powerful person. I know from very personal observation that far far too many times people get away with Romo's type of behavior because they are in powerful positions and organizations choose to protect their reputations instead of addressing the issue appropriately. This is a very significant issue in academia and happens much more often than one would like to think. I would not at all be surprised if this has been a pattern of conduct with a long history and more victims. I find it encouraging the Admiral Mccraven took the action that he did. Sad that Romo went out this way, but that sadness is on behalf of UTSA, not Romo. I have no sympathy for him personally.

From Boston, Massachusetts now in Houston
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 733 Posts

It was on the news in Houston. They just talked about his hugging