Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Miscellaneous

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Why do the instructors spend 10 minutes tuning the instruments while the audience just sits here watching them? Itís maddening. [LOL chill out. Don't get yourself worked up over such small things that you cannot control. The performance will be or would be maddening if they don't.] Why not tune them before? [The slightest environmental change can change the certain tuning on an instrument especially with strings in a Orchestra. And most other instruments are assembled at the time they play they don't carry them around everywhere.] When do they learn to tune them themselves? [That usually depends on the player and whether they have developed a musical ear which most Middle School / high schoolers will not. Like the instructor is doing probably but otherwise they do or should probably have their own tuners with them that they can read their sound and they can change accordingly.] Isnít that orchestra 101? [It's one of those things that can't exactly be taught it's more of a development kinda thing. But as far as the automatic tuners and tuning your instrument in general yes pretty obvious that you should know that I mean the players should know that.]

This is all very beguiling. [Meaning bad or good?]

Here's a little background so you can tell that I'm not just speaking out my ass. I'm not sure when I started but up to some point in 6th grade I was in choir. At that point I switched to band and played oboe through 9th grade. About 5 years later I got an electric bass and played it at my church for 5 years. And I love live orchestral music.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to quicksilverFA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,756 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverFA View Post
    Here's a little background so you can tell that I'm not just speaking out my ass. I'm not sure when I started but up to some point in 6th grade I was in choir. At that point I switched to band and played oboe through 9th grade. About 5 years later I got an electric bass and played it at my church for 5 years. And I love live orchestral music.
    Thank you. I guess I didnít expect it and am impatient. To sit and watch them tune for 10 minutes in between groups. The high schoolers were much better at tuning to the principle themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mac290 View Post
    Thank you. I guess I didnít expect it and am impatient. To sit and watch them tune for 10 minutes in between groups. The high schoolers were much better at tuning to the principle themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ;)
    yeah instruments and impatience certainly not a good mix.
    Sure because high schoolers would be more used to what their instrument needs to go through to tune correctly and at least I would think that most high schoolers are not there for the first time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to quicksilverFA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,168 Posts

Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LRP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 870 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverFA View Post
    Why do the instructors spend 10 minutes tuning the instruments while the audience just sits here watching them? It’s maddening. [LOL chill out. Don't get yourself worked up over such small things that you cannot control. The performance will be or would be maddening if they don't.] Why not tune them before? [The slightest environmental change can change the certain tuning on an instrument especially with strings in a Orchestra. And most other instruments are assembled at the time they play they don't carry them around everywhere.] When do they learn to tune them themselves? [That usually depends on the player and whether they have developed a musical ear which most Middle School / high schoolers will not. Like the instructor is doing probably but otherwise they do or should probably have their own tuners with them that they can read their sound and they can change accordingly.] Isn’t that orchestra 101? [It's one of those things that can't exactly be taught it's more of a development kinda thing. But as far as the automatic tuners and tuning your instrument in general yes pretty obvious that you should know that I mean the players should know that.]

This is all very beguiling. [Meaning bad or good?]

Is there anything quicksilverFA doesn't know [Nope]
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, That's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ive_BeenDrinking For This Useful Post: