Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 basketball recruiting

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SANCAAloyalfan View Post
    Sorry that I'm late with this, but this past Monday, the 24th, we received a verbal commitment from Jhivvan Jackson, from Trinity (TX) High. He is a very speedy PG, with excellent ball handling skills, and a nice mid-range jumper. This kid garnered a ton of interest, from coast to coast.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...hivvan-jackson

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...hivvan-jackson
    On Friday, my source said that the staff is very excited about Jhivvan Jackson. Jackson's father played professionally. Many schools shied away from Jhivvan because he chose to play for the 18U Puerto Rican National team in the summer, instead of AAU ball. One coaching staff member said that we really have a gem in this kid. He's very quick, can create plays, and can score.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 723 Posts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P Casey For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

There were three recruits in attendance at the FIU game, all guards. Jhivvan Jackson made it to his second game this season. I spoke to Coach Hood's father, and he saw Jackson play a couple of weeks ago, and he was very impressed. He confirmed that the kid can score in bunches. He as an incredible ability to get to the basket. I can't wait to see him in blue & orange next season.

Keaton Wallace was at the game as well. Wallace (6'2") is the leading scorer in the DFW area, averaging 23.8ppg. He's the #33 ranked player in Texas. Oddly enough though, he only has two offers, including one from UTSA. That makes me wonder about this kid. However, at least one of the coaches on the staff is pretty impressed with him. I didn't get to see the third kid, but I was told that he's a fantastic shooter.

With the dismissal of Billingsley & Wilson, and the transfer of A.J. Cockrell, we have three scholarships still available. After speaking with Coach Scott Thompson after the FIU game, they will definitely sign at least one other scoring guard, preferably a shooter. The staff is also pursuing a 6'8" post player that went to the same school as Mitar Stanojevich (Creating Young Minds Academy). I haven't gotten the full scoop yet, but he's a true PF, and he's from Canada. I'll keep working to get an update.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

I found out that right after his UTSA visit last weekend, Keaton Wallace was made an offer by Rice. I figured by scoring almost 24ppg that he wouldn't fly under the radar much longer. Our staff really likes him, but the competition for him will get tough soon.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,001 Times in 2,185 Posts

This season isn't even over yet, and I'm already stoked for next year. Regarding the guys who don't have many offers yet, as far as I'm concerned, Coach Henson's just ahead of the game on them. I have full faith in the recruits he pursues. The guys he was able to land in the limited amount of time he had before this season started are already showing their mettle.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volkmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 801 Posts

Don't know but this sounds like a great endorsement to our recent commitments!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	3332  

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feardabeer For This Useful Post:

From Boston, Massachusetts now in Houston
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 Times in 778 Posts

I don't know too much about basketball recruiting, but twitter went crazy for this young man last night.

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

Getting Keaton Wallace is huge. Even Coach Thompson told me that it would be tough to get him since Wichita St & Texas Tech were also showing interest in him. He had also just rec'd an offer from Rice. Let's hope that he can make the transitions to D1 smoothly. Now we just need a couple of big men.

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

I'm sorry for being late to report this, but last week, the staff used the last available scholarship to make an offer to 6'5" JC guard Deon Lyle. Lyle has given a verbal commitment. He comes from Cloud County Comm College in Kansas. I'm disappointed that we didn't get a post player, and that this kid is a JC transfer, but in January, Coach Thompson said that they would most likely sign another shooting guard.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,001 Times in 2,185 Posts

Here's a pretty good link to where we are right now in terms of commitments through 2019... http://verbalcommits.com/schools/utsa

In terms of next year, unless I'm mistaken, it looks as though we'll have four guys who are 6'7" or taller, which isn't a lot of height. But it does look like we're going after some more height in the 2018 and 2019 recruiting cycles. I'm not gonna second guess Henson though on recruiting. I'm sure he has something specific in mind for what he wants from next year's team, and maybe there just weren't any bigs left out there who met his expectations well enough to warrant giving up a scholarship for.