Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 basketball recruiting

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

Gino has given a verbal commitment to NAU. The staff has extended an offer to 6'10" Toby Van Ry. Van Ry started 31 games for NW Kansas Technical College this past season. Although his numbers are average (8.6ppg, 7.2rpg), he has excellent hands & vision for a big man. He also has great footwork, and can score with his back to the basket. His weakness, though, is at the FT line; only 54%. In watching video on him, I was impressed at his on-court quickness, and passing ability. His low scoring numbers don't concern me; he had a teammate who scored 19.5ppg, and another who scored 10ppg, so Van Ry did not get a ton of shot attempts. But when he did, he converted about 49% of them. As you know, I'm not a fan of the JC recruiting. However, we are now late in the recruiting season, and after watching this kid on video, I think that he would be a good it for us. Besides, we have no reason to be choosy. However, he has five other offers, including ECU & Toledo. Utah St is also showing interest. I will let you know if I find out if he takes a visit.

Also, the rumor is that Jeff Beverly is transferring to Iowa St. However, none of the major recruiting sources (rivals, Scout, 247) have confirmed it. Frankly, I think that he can play at a Big 5 school, but I'll be surprised if he starts. I don't see him getting the minutes that he got with us, and he certainly won't score 16ppg.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 723 Posts

Good info. I saw that he canceled 3 visits prior to his Iowa St trip...leading me to believe ISU was it

Run 'Em!
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,627 Times in 3,848 Posts

Thanks for the info, loyalfan.
    Run 'Em Roadrunners!
    Airborne, All The Way!

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

You're welcome, my friend. I hope to have more news later in the month. Van Ry is the main target right now, but unfortunately, I don't have any info regarding the other available scholarship. However, the staff has already made three offers for the 2018 class, all high school players.

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

Great news, boys: 6'10" Toby Van Ry has committed to UTSA! We have a big man to replace Lucas. As I reported on 4/28, Van Ry originally committed to CSU. Below is the link to his original profile from ESPN (notice his ranking). He was at CSU for two years, and redshirted his first, before then transferring to NW Kansas Technical College. He's also a lot heavier now than 175, so don't be concerned that he resembles a skeleton. I think that we got a steal with this kid, even if it's only for two years. He's expected to be on campus this summer (July).

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...72/toby-van-ry