Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Antonio area High School Signees

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by textodd View Post
    This is a football forum, so I'll stick to football. There's simply not that many great football players in SA each year. As was said above, only 12 FBS players in total and considering that the previous staff had completely ignored local talent the last few years, why are all these people bitching about not enough local talent recruited now? I saw it on Facebook too. If the backyard is dead, you have to seed it or put down some sod before you can mow the grass.
    No, this is the Recruiting Forum under the Sports Forum. I purposely didn't put this topic under any specific "Football" Forum for that reason. The link lists multiple sports and is the point I was trying to make in my original post. My point being (with the Basketball exception of which I completely agree), there have been some pretty good non-football recruits that have come out of our area in Baseball, Volleyball and Softball. UTSA seems to not really recruit from this pool and I think it's a big miss on UTSA's part.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,630 Times in 2,043 Posts

You mentioned Incarnate Word as a means of comparison. Are the local athletes they recruited from San Antonio better than the athletes we've recruited from outside of San Antonio? If not, this is a non-issue.

Not having many athletes from San Antonio could definitely mean we may not put a great enough effort into finding local talent. But it could also mean that what we're looking for isn't here or that they've already committed to one of our Texas P5s. I frankly don't really care though. As long as we're recruiting quality athletes, it doesn't matter to me whether they hail from Europe as some of our best volleyball players do, other states, other cities in Texas, or San Antonio. Aside from basketball and perhaps soccer, I think we're doing a pretty good job of finding student athletes.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volkmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Migser31 View Post
    No, this is the Recruiting Forum under the Sports Forum. I purposely didn't put this topic under any specific "Football" Forum for that reason.
    I immediately corrected that but thanks for the notice in .2 seconds. Your clicking prowess is truly impressive.
    Win or go home... I don't give a f*** about moral victories!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by textodd View Post
    I'll stick to football since it's top of mind. There's simply not that many great football players in SA each year. As was said above, only 12 FBS players in total and considering that the previous staff had completely ignored local talent the last few years, why are all these people bitching about not enough local talent recruited now? I saw it on Facebook too. As for football, if the backyard is dead, you have to seed it or put down some sod before you can mow the grass.
    Agree with a lot of your post Todd but not sure I agree that staff has ignored San Antonio completely. Looking at 2016 roster.. 11 of the kids listed are from SA by a quick count:
    http://www.goutsa.com/SportSelect.db...947&SPID=34919
    And so if you couple that number with the fact that there seems to be a lack of FBS level talent coming out of SA as has already been highlighted above, seems to me that our staff has done the vest they can to recruit locally given what's available. Sure.. Would have been nice to land one or two of those 12 kids that went elsewhere.. Especially the ones that went to Rice or military academies who are more in line with our current segment of the overall FBS landscape but I don't know that we ignore San Antonio.

And I guess I would ask the forum a general, question.. Do you need to see SA based kids throughout the roster to get jazzed about and support the team? Does their city of origin matter or are you just saying that UTSA should always be first and foremost in those handfull of kids that are FBS level talent coming out of SA and the fact that we aren't landing them is pointing to some alarming trend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory93 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Actually, I only meant to use Incarnate Word as an example of a local university recruiting heavily in the San Antonio area. I know and understand they're in a different level of competitive athletics but lets look at one of our listed Achilles heels, Basketball. I fully believe ICW would light us up in Basketball today. They've had a very competitive squad even prior to their taking our place in the SL Conference. They currently show 4 athletes from the SA area and have recruited locally for a while.

While I don't think the SA area has the quantity and or quality of the larger Texas metros, I do believe there is a good pool of local recruits that we should be trying to attract and I just don't see it on the rosters.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,630 Times in 2,043 Posts

Actually, I only meant to use Incarnate Word as an example of a local university recruiting heavily in the San Antonio area. I know and understand they're in a different level of competitive athletics but lets look at one of our listed Achilles heels, Basketball. I fully believe ICW would light us up in Basketball today. They've had a very competitive squad even prior to their taking our place in the SL Conference. They currently show 4 athletes from the SA area and have recruited locally for a while.

While I don't think the SA area has the quantity and or quality of the larger Texas metros, I do believe there is a good pool of local recruits that we should be trying to attract and I just don't see it on the rosters.
    I don't know whether or not Incarnate would "light us up", but I'm gonna withhold further comments on them because their coach is Burmeister, who was well-known and respected for his recruiting while an assistant at Arizona, before he became our coach in the late 80's. Enough has been said by me about him on many previous threads in the last couple years, which many have grown tired of reading. lol

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

So what you're saying is fire Brooks Thompson.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GTRunner For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    I don't know whether or not Incarnate would "light us up", but I'm gonna withhold further comments on them because their coach is Burmeister, who was well-known and respected for his recruiting while an assistant at Arizona, before he became our coach in the late 80's. Enough has been said by me about him on many previous threads in the last couple years, which many have grown tired of reading. lol
    Incarnate Word would destroy us, but then again who isn't destroying us this year? WKU is next up tonight ... we lose by at least 15.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tbird728 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

I think it's time to really consider if utsa should even have a basketball team

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cajunroadrunner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunroadrunner View Post
    I think it's time to really consider if utsa should even have a basketball team

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I think we absolutely need a Basketball team. It's just that it's withering away from an apathetic Coach, AD, President, Student Body, Alumni,.... I think the Football team has been completely recharged by the changes that have been made and the same needs to be done with the Basketball team.

Side note: I also believe Baseball has been embarrassingly ignored as well and needs some love fast before we're discussing the "need" for a Baseball team too.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Migser31 For This Useful Post: