Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing Fans Thread!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 821 Posts

Default Boxing Fans Thread!!

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez vs Miguel Cotto!!

Big Time Box, anyone watching the fight, the fight is this Sat following UTSA game

This is my opinion is a must watch fight if you are a sports fan.
    Mexico vs Puerto Rico Classic rivalry going back decades.

Thanks

Canelo Wins!!! Calls out GGG!!

Thanks

Okay, I know very very few boxing fans on here but anyone attending the box here in SA?

Showtime Championship Boxing

Mikey Garcia vs Sergei Lipinets for a 140lb title
    march 10 at the Freeman, originally at the Dome but fight day was postponed and dome was no longer available.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feardabeer View Post
    Okay, I know very very few boxing fans on here but anyone attending the box here in SA?

march 10 at the Freeman, originally at the Dome but fight day was postponed and dome was no longer available.
    Boxing fan? Not like I was when I was a kid. When I was 8 years old, I listened to the 2nd Joe Louis/Billy Conn fight on a static-filled radio broadcast!(Sep, 1946)

The best live boxing card I ever attended was the Danny 'Little Red' Lopez vs. Mike Ayala in June 1979. Lopez won a 15 round action-packed decision. It was voted as the 1979 fight of the year. I watched the entire fight on YouTube again last month. On the undercard was Salvador Sanchez, recognized as one of the best featherweights of all time. He later destroyed Danny Lopez, and not too long after that, he died in an automobile accident in 1982 at age 23.

Also on the 1979 card was Mike Ayala's younger brother, Sammy, and Rocky Ramon, a local tough guy whose claim to fame was going the distance with Sugar Ray Leonard, early in Leonard's career.

it's been a long time since I've been to a live professional boxing show. I think it was in 1993 that I paid way too much for a nose-bleed seat in the Alamodome to watch Pernell Whitaker and Cesaer Chavez fight to a draw. We vacated the seats we paid for and moved to a mostly vacant section of $450 seats, which were still too far away from the ring to get a feel for the action.

OK. Lots of other boxing memories. Boxing in a loosely organized PAL in Pennsylvania, and being on an Air Force boxing team in Iraklion, Crete, that never had any matches because we couldn't get funded to get off the island! Finished reminiscing! It's what we old guys do!

Oh ... the fight at Freeman? I saw that and have been thinking about coming out of viewer retirement. I'll have to check the seating and pricing. I won't pay a bunch for a bad seat again like I did for the Whitaker/Chavez fight.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Feardabeer View Post

Dont' know a ton about Lipinets, but Mikey Garcia is a bad ass.....

And yes..I'm a pretty big boxing fan..(MMA also), so I can talk pretty intelligently about it, but haven't been to a live boxing match in forever.....I watch everything showtime, hbo and now ESPN show though for the most part....there are times when my poor DVR will have 3 MMA cards and 2 or three boxing cards all stacked up on a weekend. Those get tough to watch because you are talking what....10+ hours of broadcasting and trying to keep from one of the big results being spoiled by a ticker or BR alert, but yep, i usually try and watch it all...might forward through all of the talking head stuff and walkouts though just to catch up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory93 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    Dont' know a ton about Lipinets, but Mikey Garcia is a bad ass.....

And yes..I'm a pretty big boxing fan..(MMA also), so I can talk pretty intelligently about it, but haven't been to a live boxing match in forever.....I watch everything showtime, hbo and now ESPN show though for the most part....there are times when my poor DVR will have 3 MMA cards and 2 or three boxing cards all stacked up on a weekend. Those get tough to watch because you are talking what....10+ hours of broadcasting and trying to keep from one of the big results being spoiled by a ticker or BR alert, but yep, i usually try and watch it all...might forward through all of the talking head stuff and walkouts though just to catch up!
    I had at least 10 hours of boxing recorded and unwatched when I switched to Spectrum last month! Lost it all, but there's always more to come.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
    I had at least 10 hours of boxing recorded and unwatched when I switched to Spectrum last month! Lost it all, but there's always more to come.
    OUCH. Yeah, that sucks. I upgraded my hopper about 6 months ago, but was able to port all of the stuff I had on the old one over...wasn't easy, but was able to do it with an external hard drive. the sucky part was re-establshing all of the damn timers...I don't even want to disclose how many of those suckers I have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory93 View Post
    OUCH. Yeah, that sucks. I upgraded my hopper about 6 months ago, but was able to port all of the stuff I had on the old one over...wasn't easy, but was able to do it with an external hard drive. the sucky part was re-establshing all of the damn timers...I don't even want to disclose how many of those suckers I have.
    I avoid attempting anything that's 'not easy to do' in electronics, mechanics, things to be assembled, etc. My wife is a lot better at that stuff. Once when she was talking to a friend about something she had repaired, the friend said to her, 'You know, they have people who will come in and do that stuff." I agree!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
    I avoid attempting anything that's 'not easy to do' in electronics, mechanics, things to be assembled, etc. My wife is a lot better at that stuff. Once when she was talking to a friend about something she had repaired, the friend said to her, 'You know, they have people who will come in and do that stuff." I agree!
    Pretty much right there with you....Just got Spectrum internet installed and had to install a refurb linksys modem that I bought off Woot and that was a bit of an adventure getting it setup and getting the connections done.

Thanks

I've been to every major card in SA in the last 10 years and 1 in Austin. I also already bought tickets to this fight, $150 for floor seats not bad at all. I spent about the same for Canelo vs Austin Trout and was not on the floor at the Alamodome. The Freeman is small enough where I cant imagine any bad seating. Went to the FNF on ESPN a few years back $13 tickets and we were 1st row from the ring, it was the HOF inductions for SA probably the coolest event I attended. All the San Antonio HOFs were there and their families, was really cool.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feardabeer For This Useful Post: