Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The MLB Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,918 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy's Castle View Post

BTW - You're listed as being a Braves fan in your profile.
    I grew up liking the Braves but nowadays there's nothing compelling me to watch them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 Times in 1,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    Dude, I wasn't any more of a baseball fan then than I am now, but I remember WGN broadcasting all the Cubs games, Dave Kingman hitting all those homers (even though Wrigley Field is a pretty easy park to hit 'em in), Harry Caray, and the Bozo shows also. I turned it there every now and then just for the hell of it.
    Back when WGN was one of the few alternatives to ABC, CBS and NBC.

I used to really enjoy watching Cubs games in the afternoon. Something about the drunk voice of Harry and the backdrop of Wrigley field just hit all the right notes on a lazy summer day.
    Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LRP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,004 Posts

After winning 11 straight, the Jays have dropped two in a row at home to the Yankees. They need this one today. They're up 3 - 0 in the top of the sixth.

Thanks

After winning 11 straight, the Jays have dropped two in a row at home to the Yankees. They need this one today. They're up 3 - 0 in the top of the sixth.
    Jays won 3-1.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LRP For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LRP View Post
    Back when WGN was one of the few alternatives to ABC, CBS and NBC.

I used to really enjoy watching Cubs games in the afternoon. Something about the drunk voice of Harry and the backdrop of Wrigley field just hit all the right notes on a lazy summer day.
    I was a Braves fan growing up for the longest time for a similar reason. We could watch about 4 games a week on TBS. I can say I became a baseball fan because of those great early 90s Braves teams.

Eventually, I started watching Red Sox games because of my dad and when I went to school in Boston for a few years that cemented it. I was there for Boone's walk-off in '03 and the miracle come back in '04.

Never looked back. Now here I am... trying to make sense of this whole Dombrowski situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RoadRummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRummer View Post
    I was a Braves fan growing up for the longest time for a similar reason. We could watch about 4 games a week on TBS. I can say I became a baseball fan because of those great early 90s Braves teams.

Eventually, I started watching Red Sox games because of my dad and when I went to school in Boston for a few years that cemented it. I was there for Boone's walk-off in '03 and the miracle come back in '04.

Never looked back. Now here I am... trying to make sense of this whole Dombrowski situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I meant to mention watching Braves games on TBS as well. Although I was never a fan of the Braves like I was of the Cubs.

That is some serious baseball history to have witnessed in person. I am jealous.

Dombrowski has been one of the best GM's in the MLB for a long time. Other than the whole purge of the post championship Marlins team which wasn't his fault he has been an excellent GM wherever he worked. This is probably a good thing for the Sox because Cherington was not getting things done in Boston and Dombrowski knows how to win championships.

Thanks

I meant to mention watching Braves games on TBS as well. Although I was never a fan of the Braves like I was of the Cubs.

That is some serious baseball history to have witnessed in person. I am jealous.

Dombrowski has been one of the best GM's in the MLB for a long time. Other than the whole purge of the post championship Marlins team which wasn't his fault he has been an excellent GM wherever he worked. This is probably a good thing for the Sox because Cherington was not getting things done in Boston and Dombrowski knows how to win championships.
    I agree 100%. I think he did a great job in Detroit. As good as Prince has been this year that was a GREAT trade for Detroit. Even though I'm a Sox fan if they play that 2013 ALCS 10 more times Detroit wins the other 9. That was a crazy good team, but even in baseball, the best team doesn't always win.

I just find it weird that an ownership group that has stuck by the same school of thought (Epstein, Hoyer, Cherington) for so many years is now changing it up. With that being said, I'm glad it's Dombrowski.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRummer View Post
    I just find it weird that an ownership group that has stuck by the same school of thought (Epstein, Hoyer, Cherington) for so many years is now changing it up. With that being said, I'm glad it's Dombrowski.
    Do you think this spells the end for Farrell? The Sox are in a tough position given his health concerns.

Thanks

Do you think this spells the end for Farrell? The Sox are in a tough position given his health concerns.
    It would be really bad PR to get rid of him considering he is out for cancer treatment. If anything, I would think he would be offered a different role within the organization.

As RoadRummer mentioned, it is interesting that the Sox appear to be switching player development methods with the hiring of Dombrowski.

Thanks

It would be really bad PR to get rid of him considering he is out for cancer treatment. If anything, I would think he would be offered a different role within the organization.

As RoadRummer mentioned, it is interesting that the Sox appear to be switching player development methods with the hiring of Dombrowski.

Exactly. I don't see them firing him either, definitely not now. It wouldn't surprise me if they use the health card and then he never returns to managing. I know that sounds terrible, but it's a way for both parties to save face. I honestly was a little surprised he survived the whole "Sandoval checking out girls on Instagram mid-game fiasco". That had Chicken & Beer-gate written all over it.

That being said, Tito won TWO World Series Championships for them and they still gave him the boot.