Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Baseballs for 2015 season

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 Times in 1,722 Posts

Default New Baseballs for 2015 season

This season will be the first season with the new flat seamed balls for college baseball. The new balls are expected to travel an extra 20 feet off the sweet spot. From what I have read, the ball is overall a lot more forgiving even if the sweet spot is missed. I doubt this will be a return to the home run derby days of the BESR era but hopefully it will move college baseball away from the small ball game that's been going on ever since BBCOR showed up.

The NCAA will be releasing stats throughout the season comparing this season's performance to past seasons to reveal the impact on performance.

I like the move to the new ball but I would prefer they drop the BBCOR and move to wood but that will never happen.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/11...ew-balls-could
    Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LRP For This Useful Post:

Run 'Em!
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,710 Times in 3,532 Posts

Interesting.
    Run 'Em Roadrunners!
    Airborne, All The Way!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

I am not a baseball savvy person, so I ask this as a total reflection of my ignorance: couldn't the flat seams have a negative impact on pitching curve balls and such?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 Times in 1,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trinidadbp View Post
    I am not a baseball savvy person, so I ask this as a total reflection of my ignorance: couldn't the flat seams have a negative impact on pitching curve balls and such?
    It will have an impact on pitches. The grip will certainly be different and Fast balls will have more velocity. The movement of most pitches will be slightly different. The curve will have a different breaking point. I don't really see it as having a negative impact on pitching. Pitchers usually adjust for these things in Single A ball post college ball. Hell, kids out of HS that go straight to the minors have to make this adjustment. This will force college pitchers to prepare for the next level sooner rather than later.

Actually, now that I think about it. I believe the Collegiate Summer Leagues use a similar flat seam ball. I know a number of our guys participate in summer ball. Although, I am not sure if most of our pitchers have participated in summer league ball.
    Busy playing Cyberball at the Roost.

Run 'Em!
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,710 Times in 3,532 Posts

Default New Baseballs for 2015 season

They're going to use the new style for hitting and the traditional style for pitching.
    Last edited by UTSA Paratrooper 2004; 02-11-2015 at 06:29 AM.
    Run 'Em Roadrunners!
    Airborne, All The Way!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,806 Times in 2,116 Posts

I'm not a big baseball guy either, although I love UTSA baseball... So is it reasonable to expect pitchers to struggle early in the season as they adjust to the new balls, or will the bigger adjustment be on the batters?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,037 Times in 916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    I'm not a big baseball guy either, although I love UTSA baseball... So is it reasonable to expect pitchers to struggle early in the season as they adjust to the new balls, or will the bigger adjustment be on the batters?
    Pitchers will definitely struggle more. The low seam ball (which mirrors the minor league ball) will make missed pitches more unforgiving. If a pitcher misses on a breaking ball its going to be a huge meatball pitch for opposing batters to crush. The core of the college baseball will remain the same so there is no real change in the pop or success of a hit ball. College baseball has been looking for a way to increase runs throughout the game and the low seamed ball should allow this. The elite pitchers should be able to maintain control of their pitches
    RUN'EM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Digi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes. Go to Academy or someplace and grip a generic baseball with high seams as opposed to a MLB or other variety of low seam baseball. The difference is noticeable. Without a doubt, control will be tested by college ball players

Development wise, the new ball is a great idea to introduce players with the low seam ball they will see in the minor league system if they are talented enough.
    RUN'EM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Digi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,806 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Digi View Post
    Pitchers will definitely struggle more. The low seam ball (which mirrors the minor league ball) will make missed pitches more unforgiving. If a pitcher misses on a breaking ball its going to be a huge meatball pitch for opposing batters to crush. The core of the college baseball will remain the same so there is no real change in the pop or success of a hit ball. College baseball has been looking for a way to increase runs throughout the game and the low seamed ball should allow this. The elite pitchers should be able to maintain control of their pitches
    So do you think the change in ball will affect the way we recruit pitchers also? IOW, when recruiters are looking at HS pitchers, do you think there'll be a bigger emphasis on control than there was in the past? If not, maybe their reasoning would be that although it'll be an adjustment at first, they should be alright by at least their sophomore year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar View Post
    So do you think the change in ball will affect the way we recruit pitchers also? IOW, when recruiters are looking at HS pitchers, do you think there'll be a bigger emphasis on control than there was in the past? If not, maybe their reasoning would be that although it'll be an adjustment at first, they should be alright by at least their sophomore year.
    I like the ladder. Guys are getting recruited because they have low 90's fastball and/or have 3 solid pitches. Adjusting to the new ball has to be natural acclimation or coaching from college programs. On the flip side, I imagine there might be a HS kid out there that has great stuff but his control is similar to pre-glasses Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn. Colleges may pass and force the kid to go the junior college route until he defines his control
    RUN'EM