Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 recruits

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

Default 2015 recruits

Sources indicate that the UTSA staff has been in contact with PG Christian Rouche of Madison High School, in SA. Ga Tech is also showing some interest. Has anyone seen this kid play? I saw Madison play Churchill last season, but I don't remember Rouche. We will need a back-up point guard next season. If anyone has intel on this kid, please share. Also, please share any intel on any 2015 recruits, especially point guard prospects.

In communicating with one of the coaches, I know that they are trying to pursue Curran Scott. He is a 6'3" shooting guard from Edmond OK. He was little known until his recent performances this summer with his club team. He recently has been made offers from several mid-major teams (Cent Ark, Texas St, Rice), however, he is now garnering more attention from larger programs: Tulsa, Mizzou, OU, OSU, Nebr, T Tech. I think that Curran would be a great fit at UTSA, but getting him here for a visit might be tough with so many other big schools now showing interest. By the way, he's a three-star Rivals rated player.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

UTSA has made an offer to Chris Rouche. Also, he transferred to San Antonio Christian. UTSA has also made an offer to 6'9" C/PF Tony Lewis. I'd love to have Lewis. I've not seen Rouch play, so I don't know if he's the best PG that we could get for the 2015 class. Obviously at this point, there are still many uncommitted players.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

Here's the latest recruiting update. Tony Lewis, the 6'9" center from Central Catholic, has verbally committed to Santa Clara. This comes as a huge surprise, considering that he had many offers from high-major programs. UTSA made him an offer at least nine months ago. It is disappointing that he has chosen to play for a mid-major program NOT named UTSA. However, the WCC has a contract with the ESPN networks, so he will have the opportunity to be playing in games that will be broadcast to a national audience. As you all know, with Kaj & Jeromie graduating this year, we have a great need for two post players in the 2015 class.

On a positive note, UTSA has extended an offer to Houston PG Galen Robinson. Despite being a three-star Rivals player, he has offers from just two high-profile programs: UH & Wich St. However, he has also received offers from many mid-majors, including Texas St & SHSU. His size & skill reminds me a lot of Devin Gibson. The team could surely use a point guard that can be groomed under Larry Lewis, for the next two or three years, before stepping into the starting role. I would love to sign this kid, and I hope that playing close to him can persuade him to choose our Roadrunners.

Lastly, the staff has extended an offer to 6'6" SF Coris Williams Jr, of Hill College (JC). I can't find much on this guy, but to be honest, with George Matthews & Phillip Jones, we don't have much need for a small forward with only two years of eligibility.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Red Shirt
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

I have seen Coris play and he was a solid player on a team that went to the junior college national tournament last year. He averaged 15+ per game and can penetrate and step out to hit the 3. He's also one of those blue collar guys setting picks away from the ball and playing hard nosed defense.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DOCKER For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

I just learned that UTSA has extended an offer to 6'8" PF, A.J. Cockrell. Cockrell is from Tulsa, and the staff has been quietly pursuing him for about the past five months. He was also just on campus this past weekend for an official visit. He was excited to be here, and it appears that UTSA left a good impression on him. In addition to the Roadrunners, A.J. now has offers from Abilene Christian, SHSU, S. Dakota & S. Dakota St. Several other mid-majors are showing interest in him as well. He's lean at 215 lbs, but if he decides that UTSA is for him, the staff can put him on the same program that has added 15-20 lbs to Lucas O'Brien.

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

Update:

-Rickey Brice (C), who the staff began recruiting at the end of last academic year, took a recent visit to N. Texas. He went with his parents, and they were sold on the school & the coaching staff. So the 7'0" Brice announced his verbal commitment to the Eagles today.

-J.C. player Coris Williams committed to SFA. This is not a loss, as we really had no need for another SF, especially since it appears that Phillip Jones may sit out this season.

-Galen Robinson (PG) visited Georgetown this weekend, but has not been made an offer from them. It appears that they only have two scholarships left to offer, and they are pursuing several players.

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

Good news - about three hours ago, 6'8" PF, A.J. Cockrell gave a verbal commitment to UTSA! What a solid start to the 2015 class!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SANCAAloyalfan For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SANCAAfan View Post
    Good news - about three hours ago, 6'8" PF, A.J. Cockrell gave a verbal commitment to UTSA! What a solid start to the 2015 class!
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...2ad43a539.html

He looks like a good pickup. He improved significantly from sophomore to junior year, so he should have an even better senior year. His rebounding stats look good.

Looks like Brooks is recruiting big men out of high school now, which is a good sign. We can redshirt them their freshman year and then have 4 years of eligibility left.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tbird728 For This Useful Post:

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

In the last seven hours or so, UTSA has extended yet another offer for the 2015 class. Nick Allen, a 6'7" forward from Surprise AZ, has been made an offer by UTSA. He is rated as the #23 player in Arizona by The Arizona Republic. He also plays on the well known Arizona Magic club team. In high school, he can play from the 3 to the 5 positions, but he is a natural SF. He averaged 15ppg & 4.3rpg as a Jr. He is also being recruited by Wyoming, SJSU & Southern Utah. As I've mentioned, we don't have much need for a SF, but if he adds some weight, and grows an inch, maybe he can develop into a decent post player.

Varsity
    Sports Logo
    Thanks

I got confirmation from a very good source, on Fri night, that Nick Allen was made an official offer on Friday. However, he is not academically strong, and that could be a problem.