• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRP
    RT Legend
    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by textodd View Post
    I agree somewhat. All of the P-5 contracts expire in 2023. So in essence the G-5 has 6 years to make it's case for both competitiveness and profitability. What I'm really saying is that I'm actually glad CUSA is going to have the full 6 years to figure it out.

I also think there's a slight possibility the top 20-30 programs may leave the NCAA altogether in football and form essentially another pro league. Eventually, the NCAA is going to have to step in and say something that keeps the sport competitive and retain it's amateur standing. When that happens, what's to stop those schools from acting in their own financial self-interest and bolting? I'm not sure that would be bad. A clear delineation between pro and amateur/college programs might be better in the long run. No more trying to impossibly keep up with the Joneses. Plus, not everyone wants to watch pro ball. There's an entertaining innocence to college football that is lost in the NFL. It's one of the reasons I prefer college football (and basketball for that matter) and I'm certain I'm not alone.

If that happens, how does that affect the distribution model?
    I do expect a breakup of Division I FBS football to happen but not like what you described. The top 64 P5 teams will form 4 new conferences after they expel the weaker P5 programs. They will form a new NCAA division or force everyone else to form new lower divisions. I believe we will find ourselves playing Division I-AA and FCS becomes Division II.

In this scenario, I expect the top programs to continue to dominate the best deals and media coverage. Actually, I can't see any scenario where the top teams will never not dominate the media landscape. I also prefer college sports over pro sports (expect basket - GSG!) but not lower division sports. Have you seen a Trinity University football game? They are true amateurs but no one is paying to see a college team that would likely lose to many high school teams.
    Oh no! We suck again!

Comment

• textodd
      RT VIP
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by LRP View Post
      I do expect a breakup of Division I FBS football to happen but not like what you described. The top 64 P5 teams will form 4 new conferences after they expel the weaker P5 programs. They will form a new NCAA division or force everyone else to form new lower divisions. I believe we will find ourselves playing Division I-AA and FCS becomes Division II.

In this scenario, I expect the top programs to continue to dominate the best deals and media coverage. Actually, I can't see any scenario where the top teams will never not dominate the media landscape. I also prefer college sports over pro sports (expect basket - GSG!) but not lower division sports. Have you seen a Trinity University football game? They are true amateurs but no one is paying to see a college team that would likely lose to many high school teams.
      That scenario may play out but if it does I don't see anywhere near that many FBS/P-5 teams being invited to the top tier. There just aren't that many cash cow schools.
      Win or go home. Nobody cares about moral victories in life or in sports.

Comment

• LRP
        RT Legend
        • Oct 2013

That scenario may play out but if it does I don't see anywhere near that many FBS/P-5 teams being invited to the top tier. There just aren't that many cash cow schools.
        I think it will be 64 based on the hypothetical emergence of the P4 once the Big 12 dissolves. It seems like the path of least resistance which is why I think it's likely to happen.
        Oh no! We suck again!

Comment

• FD2004
          RT Legend
          • Oct 2015

I think Early Bird' post is overly hyperbolic but yours is overly optimistic. The cable model isn't finished, it's finishing. College football will remain on this model until the mid 2020's once most of the P5 conference media contracts expire. In the meantime, CUSA is desperately trying to find whatever media outlets are willing to show our games.

I agree with your vision of the future but it's still very much in the future. As you mentioned earlier, it's good for the long term but not really for the short term. Unfortunately, UTSA is still in the branding phase and being a media pioneer is not in our best interest. Not that we have a choice but I think it's safe to say we are dealing with a necessary but shitty situation.
          Out of this shitty situation, would it be beneficial for UTSA to partner with Quarter Moon Productions in a larger role in broadcasting UTSA games, including MBB and WBB? This with the intent of local broadcast for fans in San Antonio and nationally through ESPN3.
          If you want to make yourself miserable, read the internet.

Comment

• Early Bird
            RowdyTalker
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by FD2004 View Post
            Out of this shitty situation, would it be beneficial for UTSA to partner with Quarter Moon Productions in a larger role in broadcasting UTSA games, including MBB and WBB? This with the intent of local broadcast for fans in San Antonio and nationally through ESPN3.
            ESPN3 is streaming. That doesn't move the needle in the right direction.

Comment

• LRP
              RT Legend
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by FD2004 View Post
              I would support that.
              Oh no! We suck again!

Comment

• Migser31
                Roadrunner
                • Sep 2013

I would support that.
                I would too, and while we're at it, add in Baseball/Softball as well. I can't make the ball games very often but would LOVE to watch them.

Comment

• FD2004
                  RT Legend
                  • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Early Bird View Post
                  Partnering with Quarter Moon (and Sinclair) with streaming through ESPN3, UTSA will:

- be able to keep the broadcast local in San Antonio (KMYS) with the ability to reach fans/alumni outside San Antonio and outside Texas (ESPN3)

- control game time kickoffs – a reasonable kickoff time such as mid-afternoon (1-4pm), early evening hour (6pm) instead of the 11am or 8:30pm kickoff time most mainstream TV networks will assign UTSA games (with the exception of BeIN). Games to be on Saturdays rather than midweek.

- have more control of telecast content - UTSA/CUSA football is the focus, not a 3 hour ESPN infomercial for the next P5 or SEC matchup.

Comment

• FD2004
                    RT Legend
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by DarrellEW View Post
                    Anyways, this might all be a bunch of #fakenews. Some other reports have come out that ASN itself isn't shutting down, but that they've gotten rid of their in-house management/operation teams and are bringing in some new partner (maybe Campus Insiders?) to take over that side of it.
                    This appears to be the case. The network was still active on TV, not sure who the new partner is but it appears it will be under the American Sports Network name.

They are hiring:

Link (which was posted over the weekend): http://www.careerbuilder.com/job/J3K...BZ8W?ipath=rss

Comment

• textodd
                      RT VIP
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Early Bird View Post
                      We agree on a lot of things amigo, but I think you're going to be dead wrong on this one. You may not like it, but streaming is where the money's going to come from.

This just happened... Amazon signs 50 million dollar deal to stream Thursday Night Football.

College games are next.

Comment

• FD2004
                        RT Legend
                        • Oct 2015

We agree on a lot of things amigo, but I think you're going to be dead wrong on this one. You may not like it, but streaming is where the money's going to come from.

This just happened... Amazon signs 50 million dollar deal to stream Thursday Night Football.

College games are next.

Also to note, Thursday Night Football is not exactly a top quality product at the moment. From your link, Twitter paid $10 million for Thursday Night Football for 2016 and with competition from Google (YouTube) and Facebook, rights will go up.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Amazon has been going after live sports content hard, "NBA to soccer and surfing leagues" and possibly "creating a premium sports package."

Even if streaming does not turn out to be the boom some are expecting it to be, it's proving not to be a dud either with more options now (Sling, DirectTV Now, Playstation VUE) and with more live streaming options coming. It would be wise for UTSA/CUSA to explore further streaming options before options become limited.

Comment

• textodd
                          RT VIP
                          • Sep 2013

Interesting development... This could be freaking HUGE for CUSA!

Sinclair Broadcast Group, Silver Chalice and 120 Sports introduce new multiscreen venture

Comment

• DarrellEW
                            RT VIP
                            • Sep 2011

Interesting development... This could be freaking HUGE for CUSA!

Sinclair Broadcast Group, Silver Chalice and 120 Sports introduce new multiscreen venture
                            This is fantastic news. Assuming they get it up and running by football season, this would mean better production quality and wider availability (streaming and OTA) of all our ASN games. And if I remember correctly, our contract with ASN gives them the option to pick up a lot more games than they did last year, so maybe these new partners will give them the ability to show more of our games, even if they're online only.
                            UTSA Class of '11 --- @DarrellEW --- @RowdyReport --- RowdyReport.com --- r/UTSARoadrunners

Comment

• FD2004
                              RT Legend
                              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by DarrellEW View Post
                              This is fantastic news. Assuming they get it up and running by football season, this would mean better production quality and wider availability (streaming and OTA) of all our ASN games. And if I remember correctly, our contract with ASN gives them the option to pick up a lot more games than they did last year, so maybe these new partners will give them the ability to show more of our games, even if they're online only.
                              Judging from what I can gather (and correct me if I am mistaken), Sinclair is providing the over-the-air distribution which is of low risk. Silver Chalice's Campus Insiders is responsible for live games and 120 Sports are responsible for studio production/operations.

I've never heard of 120 sports but was impressed when I read this tweet:

Those are not fly-by-night entities, this is serious. I'd like to see how far this merger will go, at the moment this is a beneficial development for CUSA and UTSA.

Comment

• FD2004
                                RT Legend
                                • Oct 2015

The more info I find about this merger and who is behind it, I am coming away impressed.

From Harry Minium: http://pilotonline.com/sports/colleg...85fb2d759.html

Again, not fly by night entities.

My hope is the same I had when beIN agreed to broadcast CUSA games, to take it seriously and put forth it's best effort and resources, not half-ass it.

Comment

Working...
                                X