• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Birds Up!
    • Oct 2014

The Convo

I wanted to move this to the basketball side...we need to fill the convo if we want a new complex (No matter our teams record)...

Originally Posted by P Casey
    The convo should be gone regardless. We are a D1 school for athletics, the convo is as good or worse than a middle or high school gym. It's a fuckimg joke, filled or not. There should be standards and they aren't being met with the convo.

Why should the athletics department build a brand new complex if there's not a track record supporting the team with the convo?...the athletic department can't afford to give hand outs....we as fans have to earn it...as of right now we haven't earned it in my opinion...We wanted the athletic department to get football and they did...People are supporting it well...we need to do the same with basketball...because like you said we are a D1 school for athletics and we as fans aren't meeting the standards for a D1 school...sell out the convo (or get close) for a few years then you have an argument..............
  • P Casey
    RIP
    • Feb 2014

the convo is junk, it's not adaquate to attract a crowd nor a D1 level college athlete and lastly it's a POS. There shouldnt be any requirement to fill the convo in order to get a new one. That's ridiculous. It's our schools job to figure a plan to get a decent one built whether we are good or bad, or if it's filled or not.

Comment

• P Casey
      RIP
      • Feb 2014

Even though not all students that attend UTSA graduate. They are all afforded the same opportunity of education. Whether that is books, best teachers, access to computers, etc. They might not go to every class, or do very well. But as a University we try and provide them with the best learning experience possible and give them all the tools to succeed. We continue to do so with all mean necessary.

Same goes with sports, but the convo is way below par. Students don't need to show up to games for the U to build a new one, it's quite obvious the convo is unacceptable especially for our school & CUSA. It's like having old ass POS computers and say we don't need new ones because people aren't using them.

im not trying to sound like a jerk but. I've sat back and waited for years to see some change. Nothing has happened. I'm not happy.

Comment

• blueman
        Birds Up!
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by P Casey View Post
        Even though not all students that attend UTSA graduate. They are all afforded the same opportunity of education. Whether that is books, best teachers, access to computers, etc. They might not go to every class, or do very well. But as a University we try and provide them with the best learning experience possible and give them all the tools to succeed. We continue to do so with all mean necessary.

Same goes with sports, but the convo is way below par. Students don't need to show up to games for the U to build a new one, it's quite obvious the convo is unacceptable especially for our school & CUSA. It's like having old ass POS computers and say we don't need new ones because people aren't using them.
        You can't compare the two being basketball and education because you don't know what the two parties are thinking...Its not a secret that basketball isn't king in Texas or in a lot of southern states...Ex)UT has trouble filling the Erwin Center at times...our problem is that we average 1000 people...Not over 10000 like Texas...maybe if we were number 4 in attendance in C-USA for basketball like we are for football we would have an argument...I bet you we fill the convo...great things will happen...To play off your education example the reason we are expanding is because people want to come here to study...so we have to give them great resources...We haven't shown in numbers that we want to invest in basketball as fans so why should the school invest in it...Here's the answer...go to the games

Comment

• Heisenberg361
          Run 'Em!
          • Aug 2015

I guess I can offer a student's perspective.

The Convo is boring and quite frankly unappealing. I see posters for basketball games in a few (NOTE: few. Not many.) locations throughout campus, but there is nothing about our arena (if you can call it that) that appeals to me. Nothing makes me think "Hey, I should go to the basketball game tonight," and that is saying something. I am a huge fan of college sports. I went to every home football game. The Convo is just a short walk away, but I, and most of the student body, just do not care enough to go.
          That being said, a new arena would work wonders for this school. If we had a sports complex that was visually appealing, you bet your ass I would make more games, and it would give us something to be proud of. The black, bland, rectangular prism that is the Convo visually embodies the sports culture of this school. Yeah, it's there. Great. But it's boring as hell, and doesn't attract anybody.
          The same could be said about football games too. The Alamodome is so out of the way that a lot of students don't even bother going. An on-campus stadium would be incredible for this school

I might just be rambling now, but I figured I'd give my $.02.

"If you build it, they will come."

/RANT

Comment

• blueman
            Birds Up!
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Heisenberg361 View Post
            I guess I can offer a student's perspective.

The Convo is boring and quite frankly unappealing. I see posters for basketball games in a few (NOTE: few. Not many.) locations throughout campus, but there is nothing about our arena (if you can call it that) that appeals to me. Nothing makes me think "Hey, I should go to the basketball game tonight," and that is saying something. I am a huge fan of college sports. I went to every home football game. The Convo is just a short walk away, but I, and most of the student body, just do not care enough to go.
            That being said, a new arena would work wonders for this school. If we had a sports complex that was visually appealing, you bet your ass I would make more games, and it would give us something to be proud of. The black, bland, rectangular prism that is the Convo visually embodies the sports culture of this school. Yeah, it's there. Great. But it's boring as hell, and doesn't attract anybody.
            The same could be said about football games too. The Alamodome is so out of the way that a lot of students don't even bother going. An on-campus stadium would be incredible for this school

I might just be rambling now, but I figured I'd give my $.02.

"If you build it, they will come."

/RANT

What year are at UTSA? Just curious

Comment

• Heisenberg361
              Run 'Em!
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              What year are at UTSA? Just curious
              I am a sophomore.

Comment

• blueman
                Birds Up!
                • Oct 2014

I am a sophomore.
                Wow UTSA needs people like you...you are a sophomore and went to the game...have you thought about joining something like Rowdy Crew? One thing about the Convo it might not look the most appealing but when people go to the games it gets LOUD...

Comment

• blueman
                  Birds Up!
                  • Oct 2014

Wow UTSA needs people like you...you are a sophomore and went to the game...have you thought about joining something like Rowdy Crew? One thing about the Convo it might not look the most appealing but when people go to the games it gets LOUD...
                  I'm going to message you to get you info about joining rowdy crew...There has been tons of students that have had fun in this building...if you are going to games and posting at 2:00 am on a Saturday you are a true fan!

Comment

• Heisenberg361
                    Run 'Em!
                    • Aug 2015

Hey, can't beat free college sports. I actually hadn't considered it, but I might check it out for next semester. Interesting...sadly I won't make a game until January 16th :(

Comment

• blueman
                      Birds Up!
                      • Oct 2014

Hey, can't beat free college sports. I actually hadn't considered it, but I might check it out for next semester. Interesting...sadly I won't make a game until January 16th :(
                      Message sent about the contact information on Rowdy Crew...January 16th is UTEP...we need to bring it...let me know if you got my message, Rowdy Crew could use you for sure

Comment

• Heisenberg361
                        Run 'Em!
                        • Aug 2015

Message sent about the contact information on Rowdy Crew...January 16th is UTEP...we need to bring it...let me know if you got my message, Rowdy Crew could use you for sure
                        Just messaged you back. Let's get ROWDY:rock:

Comment

• P Casey
                          RIP
                          • Feb 2014

Blueman, if you don't mind me asking what line of work do you do?

Comment

• blueman
                            Birds Up!
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by P Casey View Post
                            Blueman, if you don't mind me asking what line of work do you do?
                            I'm a brokerage trading manager for a full service financial services company. Why do you ask?

Comment

• JasonUTSA1999
                              RT VIP
                              • Oct 2011

We're not getting a new arena, get over it. For people to say they don't go because the Convo sucks is a cop out. So you're not willing to support the team and players because you don't like the building. If you say you only want to support a winning team and be a band wagon fan then just admit to it.

I dont see see the problem w/ the Convo. The seats are as confortable as the AT&T center. It has A/C and heat. It's well lit. Join the RAF and they even give you free water, soda, and popcorn.

Yes the scoreboard is less than stellar. But I go to watch the game, not see it on some Jerry World big as TV screen.

Would I like a brand new arena, sure; but I'm going to support the team either way.

Some of you guys complain way too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X