• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UTSAMarineVet09
    RT Legend
    • Sep 2011

San Antonio to join PCL beginning in 2019

Looks like the current franchise in San Antonio will move to Amarillo and continue to be double A, and a triple A franchise from Colorado Springs will move down to SA. Time to partner up with the new franchise to build a new stadium? thoughs?

San Antonio - Today, the Elmore Sports Group is excited to announce a major advancement in the Professional Baseball landscape in San Antonio. Starting with the 2019 season, the San Antonio Missions will advance a level to play their games in Triple-A Baseball.
    The Missions, with 112 seasons of play in the Alamo City and over 100 of those seasons as a member for the Double-A Texas League, will be advancing to play Triple-A Baseball as a member of the Pacific Coast League. The PCL is one level of play from the Major Leagues and is arguably the second best Professional Baseball League in the world. In addition to playing new cities like, Las Vegas, Nashville, New Orleans, Memphis, Sacramento, Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City, the Triple-A Missions will be able to renew rivalries with the Texas cities of Austin/Round Rock and El Paso.
    The Official Site of Minor League Baseball web site includes features, news, rosters, statistics, schedules, teams, live game radio broadcasts, and video clips.
    :salute: -"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for this is my valley and that is my shadow." -United States Marine Bible

-Not as lean, not as a mean, but still a U.S. Marine
  • FD2004
    RT Legend
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by UTSAMarineVet09 View Post
    Looks like the current franchise in San Antonio will move to Amarillo and continue to be double A, and a triple A franchise from Colorado Springs will move down to SA. Time to partner up with the new franchise to build a new stadium? thoughs?

https://www.milb.com/pacific-coast/n...12/t-209979204
    Wow! I didn't think a move was possible without a stadium. I guess they'll play in the Wolff until something is done.

Can the new stadium be placed at Park West? Two birds - one stone.
    If you want to make yourself miserable, read the internet.

Comment

• DarrellEW
      RT VIP
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by FD2004 View Post
      Wow! I didn't think a move was possible without a stadium. I guess they'll play in the Wolff until something is done.

Can the new stadium be placed at Park West? Two birds - one stone.
      I believe the plan is to use Wolff until they can get a deal done for a new downtown stadium.
      UTSA Class of '11 --- @DarrellEW --- @RowdyReport --- RowdyReport.com --- r/UTSARoadrunners

Comment

• UTSAMarineVet09
        RT Legend
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DarrellEW View Post
        I believe the plan is to use Wolff until they can get a deal done for a new downtown stadium.
        looks like the reason why they are moving from Colorado Springs to SA is because Colorado Springs did not get them a new stadium... so we can only assume that there will be a new downtown stadium in SA sometime in the near future.

Colorado Springs is a nice community. They’re not happy. I don’t expect them to be,” Elmore told me last spring. “But there’s nothing we can do.”
        Elmore attributed the decision to move out of Colorado Springs to the lack of a commitment from that community to develop a new stadium.
        :salute: -"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for this is my valley and that is my shadow." -United States Marine Bible

-Not as lean, not as a mean, but still a U.S. Marine

Comment

• FD2004
          RT Legend
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by UTSAMarineVet09 View Post
          looks like the reason why they are moving from Colorado Springs to SA is because Colorado Springs did not get them a new stadium... so we can only assume that there will be a new downtown stadium in SA sometime in the near future.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ep-closer.html

Yeah, more likely the same tax that built the AT&T Center will be used to build a downtown stadium. Just hast to go up for a vote.

But considering this was brought up last year, I get the feeling last years announcement was a warning shot to Colorado Springs and now the owner hit them with the news.

Comment

• FD2004
            RT Legend
            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by FD2004 View Post
            Yeah, more likely the same tax that built the AT&T Center will be used to build a downtown stadium. Just hast to go up for a vote.

But considering this was brought up last year, I get the feeling last years announcement was a warning shot to Colorado Springs and now the owner hit them with the news.
            Appears likely San Antonio's AAA team will wind up being a Texas Rangers affiliate (currently in Fresno).

Link: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/tex...te-san-antonio

Comment

• JasonUTSA1999
              RT VIP
              • Oct 2011

Where would they build a new stadium downtown and how much would it cost?

How would you all feel if UTSA played at the Wolf once the team moved out?

Comment

• Volkmar
                RT Upper Echelon
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by JasonUTSA1999 View Post

Really don't like that location for us. Can we just buy it and beam it onto our campus?

01010101 00101110 01010100 00101110 01010011 00101110 01000001 00101110

Comment

• Irish Rowdy
                  RT VIP
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by JasonUTSA1999 View Post

I hate the location, and over the last couple years students have been going to games. The Berm really had something going before the no fun rules got posted. I get it because a lot of those "students" we athletes in other sports.

Comment

• forerunner
                    RT VIP
                    • Sep 2011

When UTSA used to play games at Wolff every season, even I (meaning, a fairly diehard fan) had to psych myself up to make the drive out there. Nice stadium, terrible spot.

Comment

• OldTimer
                      RT VIP
                      • Oct 2014

I never understood why the location of Wolf Stadium is a negative. It's on Highway 90; easy access from highway 151, 3 minutes from 410, 5 minutes from interstate 35, less than 10 minutes to downtown. It's 11 miles from my home; very little heavy traffic, much easier to get to than downtown. Help me on this; where else is there land available that would have better access than the current location?

Comment

• forerunner
                        RT VIP
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by OldTimer View Post
                        I never understood why the location of Wolf Stadium is a negative. It's on Highway 90; easy access from highway 151, 3 minutes from 410, 5 minutes from interstate 35, less than 10 minutes to downtown. It's 11 miles from my home; very little heavy traffic, much easier to get to than downtown. Help me on this; where else is there land available that would have better access than the current location?
                        While I'm glad you're closer, it's 23 miles from UTSA and 27 minutes with current traffic (which is light midday traffic, as opposed to the usual afternoon or evening game time). There's nothing else fun around it.

Hopefully now you understand.

Comment

• OldTimer
                          RT VIP
                          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by forerunner View Post
                          While I'm glad you're closer, it's 23 miles from UTSA and 27 minutes with current traffic (which is light midday traffic, as opposed to the usual afternoon or evening game time). There's nothing else fun around it.

Hopefully now you understand.
                          I don't really think the distance between UTSA and Wolf Stadium was a factor in selecting the Highway 90 location. The cost of land more than likely had more to do with its selection. That notwithstanding, if you're only concerned with its proximity to UTSA, then your concern is well taken. But, I've been listening to complaints about the Highway 90 location for years, without regard for its proximity to the university. Can you suggest a location closer to UTSA that would be more feasible? Consider the cost of land and access, traffic wise and distance from the center of the city.

Comment

• forerunner
                            RT VIP
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by OldTimer View Post
                            I don't really think the distance between UTSA and Wolf Stadium was a factor in selecting the Highway 90 location. The cost of land more than likely had more to do with its selection. That notwithstanding, if you're only concerned with its proximity to UTSA, then your concern is well taken. But, I've been listening to complaints about the Highway 90 location for years, without regard for its proximity to the university. Can you suggest a location closer to UTSA that would be more feasible? Consider the cost of land and access, traffic wise and distance from the center of the city.
                            OldTimer, my apologies; I think this is a misunderstanding. My comment and a few others before me were in response to Jason's question, "what would y'all think about UTSA playing out at Wolff?" (check earlier in the thread). In that sense, the proximity to UTSA is very relevant.

I take your point that for the Missions, it wasn't relevant. I also get you on land costs and wasn't addressing that.

Comment

• Irish Rowdy
                              RT VIP
                              • Apr 2012

When in SA the North Side is where you want to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X